Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 AM

Default Help Needed - Recording Guitar on MBox Mini

Hey everybody,
I am learning fast on PT LE 8.0 and Mbox mini, and actually just figured out how to set up and record MIDI on my own (lucked out by trying 2 tracks), but obviously by this question I've got a long way to go.
I am wondering if someone can give me a quick step-by-step on recording guitar and/or bass through the MBox mini and the proper track and i/o settings I need to have it to.
With my job being as busy as it is, I really have only had an hour or so a night to try it out, but so far I am seeing that pro tools recognizes I have a guitar plugged in, I see the levels when I play it go up and down, however when it comes time to record, it records nothing! I even show that the set volume level on the track is at 0.0. Can anyone please help me out here? It would be much appreciated. I have some friends coming over this weekend to help me out, but I'd like to beat them to the punch. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Help Needed - Recording Guitar on MBox Mini

Check out DigiTV and youtube as some tutorials will go a long way here. Meanwhile, if you can hear the guitar in the headphones, you are half-way there. Record to an AUDIO track, turn the MIX knob to the middle, MUTE the track you are recording to(balance the previous tracks and the new guitar with the MIX knob) and go(the muted track still records). OR....if your computer will handle working at the 128 playback buffer, turn the MIX knob all the way to playback(you won't hear the guitar until you click the RECORD button on the track).

BTW, Instrument tracks are for virtual instruments(they combine MIDI with a plugin instrument).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Help Needed - Recording Guitar on MBox Mini

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I took 3 quarters of audio engineering in college....BUT that was 4 years ago. I will pick this up quickly. Thanks again.