Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Default GarageBand for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch!

This had to be a Jobs idea...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garag...408709785?mt=8

A path to Logic Pro?
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Default Re: GarageBand for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch!

Quote:
GarageBand turns your iPad, iPhone and iPod touch into a collection of Touch Instruments and a full-featured recording studio
...... I almost died laughing right there. Then I realized that many people would actually believe that, and I felt deeply sorry for them.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-11-2011, 10:39 AM

All you need is an iphone and sunglasses. You too can be Lady what's her name.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 AM

My point is it's a vehicle for the next generation to get interested in recording music.

Avid could learn a lesson from this...
Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 PM

The idea is not bad, it's the principle of the advertisement that says all you need is our ipad, or iphone and garage band and voila, you're a full featured recording studio. Any one who's worked professionally in this business, or has done anything in a recording studio knows that this is complete [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] and basically false representation, lying directly to their faces. Unfortunately there's some people who will believe them no matter what.

So while I agree that it's a tool that could potentially get people interested in learning how to record and produce.. and even then beside recording one mic, you don't get much to do but actually composing. Which is far fetched from being a recording studio. With treated rooms, monitoring, and actual equipment.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-11-2011, 06:40 PM

There will be lots of new people recording.......but will it be music?????

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
.....it's the principle of the advertisement that says all you need is our ipad, or iphone and garage band and voila, you're a full featured recording studio......and basically false representation, lying directly to their faces.
When is the last time any marketing or advertising campaign TOLD THE TRUTH.

When is the last time u had 5 hot models hanging on ur arm b/c u bought a bud light?????
These guys are not in the truth business.... They are in the selling iPad's business and they do it well....Mis-truths and all!!!!!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
When is the last time u had 5 hot models hanging on ur arm b/c u bought a bud light?????
This is the reason I never buy Bud Light. Do you know what it costs to keep 5 hot models in shoes?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The idea is not bad, it's the principle of the advertisement that says all you need is our ipad, or iphone and garage band and voila, you're a full featured recording studio. Any one who's worked professionally in this business, or has done anything in a recording studio knows that this is complete [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] and basically false representation, lying directly to their faces. Unfortunately there's some people who will believe them no matter what.

So while I agree that it's a tool that could potentially get people interested in learning how to record and produce.. and even then beside recording one mic, you don't get much to do but actually composing. Which is far fetched from being a recording studio. With treated rooms, monitoring, and actual equipment.
I haven't tried this application but I think you might be being a little hard on it. Portable media devices might be the 4 track of the future. I'm sure plenty of us started out with less than ideal tools to lay down our first ideas but that didn't take away from the satisfaction of being creative. Heck, many of us still use stuff that other people wouldn't dream of considering "studio equipment". I don't blame you for the skepticism though. When I purchased my iPhone, the last thing I considered it as was a piece of studio gear and I completely ignored any recording or production style applications. After seeing iMaschine on the AIR user blog, I downloaded it just for fun. I didn't even use it until days later, but when I did, I was really impressed. In my hands was a production sketch pad that I can take anywhere. The time it takes me to rough out a drum beat and some melodies is less than what it takes on my full blown rig. Pretty Amazing. I think for creativity, these types of tools open up a lot of possibilities. And for some, expressing that creativity is what its all about. So, I'll let them slide on the whole "It'll turn your iDevice into a professional studio", marketing agenda.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 AM

My beef isn't with the creativity aspect, or the portability of it, really. But don't call it a recording studio, cause it's not . Heck why not call it for what it is, a new generation portable sequencing application. Now that's truthful, and actually to what it does. Sure you can record a track, but it will never be up to the specks of a full featured studio and all of what it implies. That's what I mean. There's enough BS running around about the business already, no need to add even more to it.

Wave-T.com