Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-13-2023, 09:58 AM

Default i9 Windows laptop

Imma gonna try this again.

I'm looking for input on WINDOWS laptops running Pro Tools, not Macbooks, or Mac studio, or anything Mac. Did I mention not interested in Mac products?

I've heard reports that the i9s run hot and subject to fan noise. Thinking of Lenovo or Dell, and any PT Ultimate experience on any Windows laptops in terms of performance.

Any experience?

Media Man
Old 12-14-2023, 10:42 PM

Default Re: i9 Windows laptop

I have one system which is a pretty highly specced laptop from Schenker/MSI.
Actually features an i9 desktop processor (10900hk I think it was).
With the great tool Throttlestop I limit the clock speeds to 3.3Ghz per core and slightly undervolt the system to reduce heat. The system rarely hits 63-66C, mostly only when doing video transcoding.
Usually it's in the 50s or slightly under. I do use a silent box in the studio to keep it quiet and cool so cannot really comment on fan noise. I do hear the full speed blast on BIOS check but that has been it so far.
Hope this helps! I can only recommend looking into ThrottleStop and undervolting for cooler systems.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Man View Post
Imma gonna try this again.

I'm looking for input on WINDOWS laptops running Pro Tools, not Macbooks, or Mac studio, or anything Mac. Did I mention not interested in Mac products?

I've heard reports that the i9s run hot and subject to fan noise. Thinking of Lenovo or Dell, and any PT Ultimate experience on any Windows laptops in terms of performance.

Any experience?

Media Man
Ha! Yeah, there are some Windows haters on the DUC!

Fan noise will vary by make, model, session load etc. If you buy a new laptop, you should have at least a 30 day return window, so load it up, push it hard, and see if fan noise is an issue for you.

My Lenovo laptop (see sig) is working well for my needs. I don't think the fan even turns on, but if it does, it is barely audible. Note that I do NOT do any heavy lifting with this laptop, only a few tracks at high buffers, no video, no VIs etc. (I use a desktop for big sessions.) For my modest laptop needs, I am able to use a 12th gen mid-tier CPU. If you plan to run big sessions at low buffers, then get 13th or 14th gen i9 or i7. Google the exact CPU model you are considering and check single-core benchmarks as a way to compare. I think Lenovo and Dell make good laptops. Whatever you end up with, fully debloat, fully optimize, and go through all Windows system settings and turn most of that stuff off, too.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-15-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
... Actually features an i9 desktop processor ...
If it's in a laptop, then it's a laptop CPU. Different from the desktop CPUs.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-15-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
If it's in a laptop, then it's a laptop CPU. Different from the desktop CPUs.
Not always. Some of the extreme gamer "laptops" do use desktop CPUs, along with the implied cooling issues and non-existent battery life. The mentioned Schenker XMG Ultra 17 M20: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenk....463367.0.html

... would not be my personal choice for DAW use.
Old 12-16-2023, 12:02 AM

Yes it has a desktop cpu. It was a system offered/set up by a pro audio company as an audio notebook "extreme". I do not use it to be mobile every day, but in case of need I can easily take it to mix sessions and have everything with me to fly in addons (I work in post).
These Schenker gaming ones, as well as the high end business Dell model I used before (also the Lenovo mentioned probably) offer things like multiple screens, low DPC latency hardware and drivers (VERY important) and high spec CPUs. The single core speed as mentioned is important for audio processing power of a single channel's chain, as seemingly PT stays on one core from clip to inserts and along the path (I remember reading tha here)

That's the thing with notebook CPUs, I couldn't find one that was so fast you could throttle it to a cool level with high speed. Hence going for the i9 10900k.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:13 PM

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme and Dell XPS series are popular choices among professionals for audio production tasks due to their build quality, performance, and reliability. However, other models from both brands could also be suitable depending on your budget and specific requirements.

Before making a purchase, it's a good idea to read reviews from other Pro Tools users who have experience with the specific laptop model you're considering. They can provide valuable insights into real-world performance and any potential issues you might encounter. Additionally, if possible, try to test the laptops in person to get a feel for their build quality and performance before making a decision.

You can also check the latest 14th Generation Intel Core i9-14900HX laptops.

Thank You.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:33 AM

This company might be worth a look, but they are in Europe (Italy):

https://www.projectlead.it/laptop

cMP 2 x 3,46, 128GB Ram
Monterey 12.7.4
Metric Halo 3d 2882 I/O
Lucid 88192 with Blue Sky 5.1 monitoring
10gbE ethernet with True Nas storage
Old 04-16-2024, 07:09 AM