Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2014, 04:33 PM

Default AutoMute problem - SOLVED

In the past, AutoMute has worked fine on my computer. At some point I started getting an error message at start up when AutoMute was loaded.

AutoMute Error

Cannot open MIDI ports!
Please reinstall software or run as administrator.

I've tried both of those suggestions and no luck. AutoMute shows up in the tray but it isn't working.
If I untick loopback and try to activate my MCU controller, AutoMute crashes.

I've disabled and uninstalled various midi devices to see if they are conflicting.

Anyone seen this?

Last edited by Dave Modisette; 12-06-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:47 AM

Default Re: AutoMute problem - SOLVED

I went through a lot of steps which included registry edits but I believe the solution was uninstalling the program loopMIDI which is a part of the AutoMute installation and reinstalling AutoMute. This created a new loopMIDI installation and solved the problem.

Once again AutoMute is working.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 AM

Default Re: AutoMute problem

Good detective work! For those that can't use AutoMute or those too cheap to pay for this feature, it CAN be done for free with stock PT features. I start by recording 6 minutes of pink noise(from an AUX track with the Signal Generator plugin). Then I delete the AUX(don't need it anymore), and on the pink noise track, pull the fader down and add a pre-fade send to an open bus, with the send at -0. Then add an AUX track(I use 2) fed by any open mic/preamp combo. Insert the stock compressor/limiter plugin and trigger it with a side-chain from the bus you sent the pink noise to. Set the plugin to 100:1 ratio, fast attack and release and a very low threshold. Every time you stop playback(or record), your talkback mic opens up and as soon as you enable the transport, it ducks. I have a talkback on my desk that feeds all the headphones, then another in the drum room that feeds all the phones, AND comes out the main speakers so the drummer can talk to anyone, including the engineer I have all this built into my recording session template, and also have the 3 tracks(2x AUX plus the pink noise track) saved as a track preset.(remember to check the box for "Include Media" so the pink noise audio is saved as part of the templates).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-08-2014, 05:00 PM

Hey albee1952, that is an awesome idea for handling the talkback sys but if you want to do punch-ins, you need to hear the track playback and then have it duck when you punch. With your config, the track would always be ducked during transport, correct? Hope i'm explaining myself correctly.

PS: I can't believe that I am still talking about this AVID cluster F**CK of a problem 5 years after jumping into PT.
Cheers
Rob
Old 12-08-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_A View Post
Hey albee1952, that is an awesome idea for handling the talkback sys but if you want to do punch-ins, you need to hear the track playback and then have it duck when you punch. With your config, the track would always be ducked during transport, correct? Hope i'm explaining myself correctly.

PS: I can't believe that I am still talking about this AVID cluster F**CK of a problem 5 years after jumping into PT.
Cheers
Rob
Not sure what you are referring to here. I do punch-ins all the time with anywhere from a single player to a 5 piece band. My setup ducks the talkback mics and nothing else

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave