Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2010, 04:21 AM

Default PT 8 and 9 Memory leak? and Waves issue

I've 2 issues with PT9 and 8, I would like to check (with config beneath):

1) both my systems run out of memory for the ProTools application (which will then try to save and quit). This also happened with 8.0.4cs2 with OS10.5.8 on the Harpertown btw. What can be done about this?

2) latest Waves Platinum on the PT8 system: on an aux return where I have Oxford EQ (latest version checked on Sonnox website R3 EQ for ProTools TDM
Mac Universal Binary
Version: 2.6.2), C4 and RenComp (from Waves Platinum Waves_Complete_V7r15), this channel goes regularly in spontaneous oscillation/feedback with the Rencomp GR going mad and pops through my speakers. Even before this happens sometimes the channel can't be thrusted giving a hotter level than it should. Making the channel inactive and active again solves it, but it's annoying.

I'm running a film mix with my main system (DIA, PFX, MUS) on:

PT8.1cs2 HD3 system (OS10.6.4, Harpertown 8core Mac, 8GB RAM)

and my second system (FOL, SFX, AMB) on:

1x PT9.0 HD2 system (OS 10.6.4, latest generation 8core Mac, 6GB standard RAM) with Blackmagic Decklink Extreme 3D card, running as slave with Video Satellite.

Both PT sessions contain 5 reels + trailer + TV excert of the film so they are BIG and use 5.5 hours on the timeline (reels start on the hour)

Both PT systems are pushed to the limit:

PT8.1cs2 HD3 runs 167 voices

H/W buffer size 512 samples
7 Processors
CPU usage limit 85%
192 voices 6 dsps
DAE buffer Level 4
Cache size: large
Plugin streaming buffer: Level 2
Mix of RTAS and TDM plugins

Source tracks on one external FW800 connected disk
Stem trackson second internal SATA 500GB disk

PT9 HD 2 runs 191 voices with some of the voices fixed and shared between tracks, because I have more tracks then available voices

H/W buffer size 512 samples
15 Processors
CPU usage limit 85%
192 voices 6 dsps
DAE buffer Level 4
Cache size: large
Plugin streaming buffer: Level 2
Mix of RTAS and TDM plugins

Source tracks on one internal SATA 2 TB disk
Stem tracks + MJPEG A 720p video on second internal SATA 2 TB disk

Greetings,

Thierry

Last edited by thierryd; 11-23-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: additional Sonnox and Waves info
Old 11-23-2010, 05:24 AM

Default Re: PT 8 and 9 Memory leak? and Waves issue

I run similar very large sessions and get the same memory problems once in a while. I posted about a possible memory leak before. In my case, this happens after you have worked in the session without a re-boot for a couple of days, I think it may be related to the undo buffer (but of course I am not sure, this is just a guess). It would be good if PT had a "empty cash or clear clipboard" function.

HD2 accel
Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM

I have a similar issue in 8.0.1/10.5.8 with IZotope Spectral repair and 9005 errors. All memory related...

Randall
Old 11-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Problem is that PT sometimes gives the memory warning and asks you the save the session, which then results in a saved session of 4K instead of 22MB or so.
Of course I can get the backup out of the Session file backups, but it still is a dangerous situation.
Also PT asks to allocate more memory and restart, but I don't know how I could force PT to use even more memory than the settings I'm running with and posted above. There is the 2GB memory limit in 32 bit if I'm not mistaken. In Activity monitor PT's memory allocation starts at 1,99 GB real memory and 1.88 virtual memory (I just had to restart the PT8 system, so I checked again) when I open my session. It then slowly creeps up till 2.66GB real memory and more (on the PT9 system at this moment).

Any ideas?

Greetings,

Thierry