Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Default I'm so sick of this MIDI problem!!

This has been happening to me for years and I never could figure it out and now I've had it.

OFTEN, not always, when editing midi notes on the FIRST BEAT of a take, they are adversely affected in ways I wouldn't want.

For example:
I record midi - quarter note piano chords a la "Have a Little Help From My Friends". I don't want to quantize as i want to keep the "natural" rhythm. However I want the first chord to be locked to the grid for ease of looping etc.
I select the first chord and drag it to the first beat in grid mode. Now when i select the whole region that first chord is NOT selected.

Its as though pro tools thinks that chord is before the first beat and will only select it if i highlight behind the chord as well. Thats annoying and not good for looping etc.

Again this has happened to me constantly throughout the years and I dont know why - or what its called to search for it or anything.

What is going on here. Please help

thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Default Re: I'm so sick of this MIDI problem!!

heres a pic to clarify - first beat is not selected even though its touching beat 1 and i selected it within grid mode

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 AM

C&P,
COuld you take a pic of the whole edit window?
I'd like to see all of the settings.
Thanks.

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseandpepper View Post
heres a pic to clarify - first beat is not selected even though its touching beat 1 and i selected it within grid mode

People have been describing this problem for a long time, but it always seems to have been with quantise... You're saying you don't use quantise?

Are those notes definitely on exactly 4|1|000 (for example) ? take a look in the MIDI event list..

Even if it is, what happens if you drag the note(s) away, then drag back (in grid mode). Does the selection error still occur?

One thing I've always wondered about is if even though it says 4|1|000, maybe the timing is off at the sample level and it just rounds up.. Can you zoom in to sample level to see if that's the case? set one of your counters to samples to see....
Old 02-18-2009, 12:22 PM

This happens to me a lot. Notes are 100% on the bar and still are left out of the selection. It's definitely frustrating.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM

Close up with event list

whole window

whole window with samples shown (16 bit 44.1khz session if you want to do the math)

I just don't get it. Everything seems right, just that it thinks the notes begin sooner than they actually do.

Thanks for responding - maybe this is like neo in the matrix - how he is the "remainder" of life's formulas. This is just the one remainder for everything else to be working?

Anyway if anybody figures it out i'd love to know.
thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 01:32 PM

Turn off the "Mirrored MIDI Editing" and see if that helps.

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM

This is indeed a PITA! I have also had this happen, and I end up zooming ALL the way in, and then trimming off the beginning while in grid mode. The real problem with this is that you can't duplicate or copy and paste a region like the one shown. Is this still an issue in PT8?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM

Just had this happen last night, and had to literally zoom in ALL the way, and trim off just a tiny tiny bit of the front. That little bit was enough that I couldn't copy the piece I needed. I had recorded the beat, quantized it, and still ended up with this extra bit of a kick drum note that was sticking out before the 1. Why the hi hat note that started at the same time was not extended is beyond me, as it was quantized too...
What gives with this?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 AM

Yes thats part of it too. Trimming inward reveals the same note underneath. Yet you cant move that note or delete it.

Its a bug, flat out. Has digi commented on this ever?