Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-09-1999, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Opcode...is killing me! HElp !

Any of you Digi employees have a scoop on Opcode? There are more than a few of us SVP/tdm users who are starting to get a bit hysterical. At first I dismissed all the talk as rumors, but it does appear that the company has just dropped off the face of the earth. I haven't received my latest update yet, but I've been reading stories of catastrophic authorization disk failure; and no word of this on the opcode website or even a peep from an official employee. The only person doing ANYTHING is Dan Timis, a FORMER employee. He seems to be the one who spear-headed a strange and cryptic work-around.

Yikes. I've gotta back off the esspresso.

Bryan
Old 10-09-1999, 06:09 AM

Hi Everyone, I have an endorsement w/ Opcode I will call them first thing Monday and get the info of what's going on. Stay Tuned!
Old 10-09-1999, 05:35 PM

Hey Lucian,
If you dont have any success with Opcode I'd go for the MOTU DIGITAL TIMEPIECE. It's a very versatile unit and should satisfy your needs.
Good Luck!
Old 10-09-1999, 08:24 PM

Hey Everyone,

This is the rumour I heard....Opcode is going to officially announce their death in about two weeks. I guess like 70% of the company got laid off last week. Someone said the only working department in Opcode is Tech Support. This is all information just flying around.
Lucian.....I'd return your 64XTC and get a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV. It kicks ass! I've never had problems and it is very versatile. Plus your guaranteed support! Their still around, and from what i heard doing very well too.
Otherwhise, you could also take a look at Digi's new MIDI interface. It's supposed to come out next month. I'm not sure what the specs are, but it's definetly worth checking out.

PP
Old 10-09-1999, 08:40 PM

Thank you for the sugestions.
Next week I will return this 64XTC unit in exchange for the MOTU.

Before I rushed to buy the OPCODE, I did a serch here on Digi's user conference .I hoped I could get more info about the midi interfaces. I did not find to much.At least now I know that the next person ho will need a midi interface and will do a serch here ,will find this thread and maybe it will help him to make the right decision.
Even if the Opcode unit will work ,I don't want to go to bed with the fear that tomorow if this unit will krak,I will need to dump it in the garbage,and pull another 400$ out from my pocket and start over again.
If they don't answer the phone for the tech supp.,costumer service ...I can imagine how the repaires are going .

I learn so much from your HUI experiences that you people had (stiky fingers) .It skeard me so much that made me to start saving and buy the Procontrol.
Mackie is so good, but I can not aford to have problems of this kind. I am to poor to buy something cheeap that will not work right.I hate gamebling with this staff.
Two weeks ago my D8B just quit working .Faders stoped moving...It just stop working .This unit(6 months) never got out of the house.
I got a NEW D8B OVER NIGHT form MACKIE.
(talking about service)

So people if you do need a MIDI interface ,you got the story ...first hand. And if you still don't beleve me ..buy it, and :
JOIN TO THE CLUB!
Pray GOD to don't have any questions or problems with the unit ,cause only HIM can help you.
good luck
and thank you
lucian

[This message has been edited by lucian (edited 10-09-99).]
Old 10-10-1999, 10:24 AM

I just got through to Gibson Customer Service...on a Sunday afternoon, and a real live humanoid no less!

As I've heard elsewhere, he claims that Gibson is in the dark on this one; which seems slightly incredible. He says that they don't necesarily 'own' opcode but have invested in them. Consequently they don't run opcode is what he said. Aparently no one from opcode is returning calls from Gibson just like they're not returning calls from you and me.

That's what the man said...

This really sucks.
Old 10-12-1999, 12:16 AM

What a shame! I've been an Opcode advocate since the mid 80's and they have always provided me with powerful, intuitive tools for music and audio production. I will be sad to see this company bite the bullet if that is, in fact, what is happening to them. my advice would be to wait until the smoke clears before you panic and ditch all your Opcode gear, they may just be going through some restructuring pains.
Old 10-12-1999, 12:59 AM

Well this is the scoop from a very reliable source. I tried calling 2 people that I deal with at Opcode and both are gone! Opcode is going out of business!! The is no word what Gibson will have any intentions to save it. But a majority of the people have already left. So If Digi could get some of the key engineers, then they could advance the sequencer end of Pro Tools. There going to need it cause there is an all out war between MOTU & Digi. MOTU wants to take Digi down.
Old 10-12-1999, 05:44 AM

Well that just about nails the coffin shut, damn it.

Digi, find these guys (like Dan Timis) and get them poppin some fresh midi code for Protools!