Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 01-03-2021, 09:15 AM

Default Avid Eleven Rack Don't Know Where To Start

I have read up here as much as I can and unfortunately, I'm fairly stupid about what to do and how to do it.

My concern: I bought an Avid Eleven Rack (used but pristine). It has nice presets but I want to bring it 'up to date' with the new modeling. I currently have Version 1.0.3 Build 0.6.2.0. I have a Windows 8.1 PC running IE 11. Here is what I don't understand:

1. I read about the need for a Windows 7 computer running IE version 8 or under. I just don't have one. I don't know anyone who does. I do know a couple of people who own Macintosh computers but I'm reluctant to ask them for help because I'm concerned that downloading updates and new software will make it so I can't run the software on my own machine (licensing seems to be one-use only with Pro Tools, unless I'm mistaken. Something about a key and permissions, I don't know). Is there anyone on the message community who offers help with installations? I have, in the past, had my company's IT department remote access my home machine here to do updates and such so I can work from home during the COVID pandemic. I am willing to pay someone to help me bring my AE Rack up to the Version 2 with the added bells and whistles.

2. I am not fond of the output to amp on the front, as I plan on installing the AE Rack into a SKB flight case. Is there a website or a part of this community that has history of modifying the case/moving jacks around?

3. I believe I have found web pages that have people's own versions of 'rigs' but I don't know how to take them from web sites and bring them into my AE Rack.

What I DO know:

1. I have Pro Tools Plus, as it came with a Digitech GNX-4 Workstation I purchased in 2006(?) and never got around to using it as I put down the guitar shortly after that purchase and have only recently picked back up. I don't know if I can connect my AE Rack via the USB and have PTP recognize it. I had one doozy of a time getting the PC to recognize the GNX-4 and probably wouldn't have gotten it right had it not been for a FB group owner who basically walked me through it all the way from England (thanks Jonathan!). I can use PTP to modify user presets in the GNX-4 but have had terrible luck finding other people's presets as the GNX-4 is discontinued and well, people have moved on. I saved a website that sold a set of CD's that were chock full of those presets, but when I got back into guitar (read: afford to purchase the CD's) the website was out of business. At least I can use PTP modify and save 'new' blended sounds. I fear that I have fallen into the same rabbit hole concerning the AE Rack but have found folks who have made new 'rigs' that sound like various artists but they are mostly built on the 'Version 2' of the firmware on the AE Rack, which I don't have.

2. I know there is a purchase out there to update the AE Rack to Version 2 (I think it's about $100) of the firmware and also has these new rigs. I just don't know, (for lack of purchasing a Mac or finding a Windows 7 machine at a yard sale) that I'm going to be seeing this Version 2 and the remaining 'new' rigs out there that people have built and are willing to share.

3. This AE Rack did not come with anything other than a 115V cord.

I am pretty sure that I'm not the Lone Ranger here. I apologize if I have posted something that is already solved but I'm approaching sixty and my computer savvy is based on learning Windows 3.1 and Windows 95. I was using Windows 98 when I put all my gear in storage in 2006. Platforms today baffle me.

I follow an English guitarist via FB who is live often and holds open sessions from time to time (Thomas McLaughlin) and I find the gear he uses fascinating. He uses his PC with software (from where, I don't know) and has killer tone. I went to Guitar Center (big mistake) and after 3 visits I finally got someone to actually ask me if I needed help and his recommendation was to purchase some 'Amplitube' software but are there any 'better' and more 'idiot friendly' programs out there? I have permission from the boss to buy whatever I need (new PC, software, etc... I'm even looking at the Ibanez AZ series) and, frankly, I like my old stuff and stomp boxes... but I want to also keep up with these young whippersnappers...

I hope I have provided enough information about what is going on. I hope I haven't wasted anyone's time here. Thanks for listening!

Ron

PS: GNX-4 Workstation, Pro Tracks Plus, GSP-21 Pro, ADA MP-1, BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer, Marshall 9100, (2) Marshall 1922 cabs, Tube Screamer 9, Boss DD-2, GE-7, CS-2 and Guyatone Parametric EQ, Marshall 6101 30th Anniversary 100W Combo w/extension. Gibson Les Paul, Martin DC-16GTE, Martin D12X1, Ibanez JEM, Taylor 612CE, Washburn MG-94 and Fender Squire.

Last edited by ronelder; 01-03-2021 at 07:25 PM.