Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 02:17 PM

Default Naked Drums or Reel Drums?

Hi all,
I have been looking into both Naked Drums and Reel Drums for Pro Tools. Just wondering if people had an opinion about buying them or not. Pros and cons? Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Geoff
Old 08-29-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Naked Drums or Reel Drums?

I have the Naked Drums Rock Vol. 2 product. Its well recorded, fairly well played drumming and the individual tracks give you plenty to mix with.

I do have a few gripes:

The drum patterns are very limited, style wise. There are not a lot of different beats and the fills are marginal in places. I haven't found a single pattern with side stick on it, which seems like a major omission, but maybe these exist on the slower "ballad" tempo CDs.

This product doesn't include a CD with stereo audio files that let you audition each pattern. So, you have to copy all the files from the CDs to your hard drive and then open up each ProTools session just to hear them. I emailed the company over a year ago, and they claimed they would have a CD of stereo mixes "soon", but it still doesn't exist. The CDs aren't even labeled for tempos, which seems rather cheap.

The Naked Drums products are usable, and if they happen to have the beats you're looking for, you're golden. You'll have to do some time stretching if the tempo isn't what you want, so anticipate some serious time involved there. Still, its an OK product, no great, but I've had some fun with it.

Dave Patterson
Knobville