Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 03-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Default Can HD Native PCIe/Omni Co-Exist With Another Interface?

I have a Windows 10 PC rig that had previously been running Pro Tools 12.7.1 (standard), with an RME HDSPe RayDAT interface.

I've now acquired a second hand HD Native PCIe card and an HD Omni, in addition to a Pro Tools 12.7 HD license and the DigiLink license. All software/licenses are activated and visible in my iLok account.

However, Pro Tools HD will not recognize the Omni. The RME is (and always has been recognized) in the Setup->Hardware dialog as "ASIO Hammerfall DSP". But the Omni does not appear. I've run the DigiTest utility application, and both the PCIe card and the Omni are recognized on the Slot Info tab.

After Googling about, I cannot find any information about whether this configuration is supported or not, i.e., can the HD Native PCIe/HD Omni co-exist with the RayDat interface?

Many thanks in advance for any advice on how I can get going with the Omni.

P.S. I've started a support case with Avid, but I find they are rather slow to respond.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Can HD Native PCIe/Omni Co-Exist With Another Interface?

Interesting I think, now that the Native card is installed(and assuming the OMNI is connected and lights up with no error messages), I would uninstall Pro Tools AND the HD Driver and reinstall them(If the HDN card is not an available "audio engine" in Pro Tools>setup>Hardware, then I suspect a driver issue first, a hardware issue second). Also, verify that the Digilink asset is actually on your iLok(not simply in your account) as this bit me in the butt with 12.7(you could test this by installing 12.6 because if that does work, then its the Digilink licence that is not acting correctly, for whatever reason).

I assume the splash screen does show the big HD when you open Pro Tools?(if not, then you have deeper iLok licence issues to figure out)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the DigiLink asset license does show up in the iLok License Manager as activated on my iLok. Sorry for not making that clear.

Yes, splash screen on launch displays Pro Tools HD. To be doubly sure, i checked the About 'Pro Tools | HD...' menu item in Help menu, and when the credits scroll by, it reads:
TOOLKITS:
HD Features with no hardware
No new information there, but at least it's consistent with my other observations.

Yeah, I was afraid it might come to the Uninstall/Re-install doh-see doh, but was hoping for a less painful solution. That may be the best course of action, though. I will hold off a day or so in the hopes that someone can suggest something else less time-consuming.

Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:24 PM

On Windows, this is a simple dance. Go to Control Panel(show Categories) and select Remove a Program. Find Avid Pro Tools>Right-click>select Change. In the next window, select Remove. In the next window, you have 3 options; Remove Pro Tools only, Remove PT and HD Driver or Remove PT, HD Driver, prefs and database files. Unless you have a ton of settings in prefs that you can't remember(and you could easily just take some notes on that), I would choose the last option as it does the most complete "house cleaning". But at the very least, choose the 2nd option to also remove the HD Driver. The reason for this is because if the driver remains(regardless of whether you have any HD hardware) it will confuse the installer into thinking PT is still installed(LEARNED THE HARD WAY). After your re-install, assuming it goes well and the rig works(you should be able to choose either HDN or the RME as the audio engine), I would save a drive image(if the term "drive image" means nothing, do some research, get a program and start having a backup plan for the future(you will NEVER regret it). Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect and Backupper Pro are 3 options worth a look

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 AM

Yes, they can coexist. When you go to Setup->Playback Engine you should see HD (might be HD Native) in the drop down. Once you select that, you'll be using the Omni and configure it under hardware. You cannot use both an HD interface and native at the same time in Pro Tools.

You can, however, connect your RME to the Omni over ADAT for added flexibility. Just keep in mind that Omni can have 8 I/O max, so if you're using 8 ADAT, you cannot use the analog connecting a on the Omni in PT.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Thank you very much, Matt and Dave.

Actually, it was Matt's tip about looking at the selected Playback Engine that was the solution. Which seems non-intuitive to me, thinking that configuring "Hardware" would logically come before "Playback Engine", but there it is.

Now I just need to figure out how to route the output from non-Pro Tools applications through the Omni. I've plugged the ADAT out from the RME into one of the Omni's two digital optical inputs, but can't quite figure out the options required to get it working. The available playback devices in Windows still only mention the RME, the internal sound hardware on the motherboard, and an HDMI output option. But the Omni is not mentioned.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcanon View Post
Thank you very much, Matt and Dave.

Actually, it was Matt's tip about looking at the selected Playback Engine that was the solution. Which seems non-intuitive to me, thinking that configuring "Hardware" would logically come before "Playback Engine", but there it is.

Now I just need to figure out how to route the output from non-Pro Tools applications through the Omni. I've plugged the ADAT out from the RME into one of the Omni's two digital optical inputs, but can't quite figure out the options required to get it working. The available playback devices in Windows still only mention the RME, the internal sound hardware on the motherboard, and an HDMI output option. But the Omni is not mentioned.

Thanks again for all your help!
Go to the Hardware dialog, configure the digital input format accordingly, then go the the Mixer tab and hit the MON buttons for the two digital inputs. The MON buttons will route those inputs to the monitors, the HP buttons do the same for the headphone out.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM

You have to configure that in the Omni mixer. Omni also remembers those settings. For example: I use several extra pieces of gear connected digitally to the Omni and can use that just fine outside of ProTools through the Omni.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Thank you Matt, and especially Meads. The steps Meads enumerated worked a treat. This site is a godsend.

Cheers, gentlemen!