Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

Lightbulb Avid Blogs — Live Sound

Avid Blogs: Live Sound

Latest Live Sound Blog Posts on AvidBlogs.com:

Mixing with VENUE in the Frozen North
By Hugo Larin, March 27, 2015
I recently filled in for a friend of mine and mixed the 2-day Nunavik Regional Youth Talent Show in Salluit, Quebec. There is no “regular” cargo with the airline when flying into Nunavik. There technically is, but not in any way that you can actually schedule and ensure that your cargo is going to get there by a certain time. Emergency cargo (blood, medicine, food, supplies, etc.) naturally get’s prioritized over everything else. So if you are trying to send stuff as cargo, it’ll get there when it gets there. The only way to ensure something in time is to take it with you as luggage. The VENUE | S3L-X was obviously the perfect system for this kind of gig....Read more

~~~~~

VENUE Systems Help Present Historic Cavalia Show at Qasr al Hosn Festival
By Hugo Larin, March 23, 2015
Created by Normand Latourelle, one of the co-founders of famed Cirque du Soleil, Cavalia Inc. is an entertainment company based in Montreal, Canada, that creates lavish equestrian productions. Known for its cutting-edge use of technology, multimedia, and special effects under a circus big top, the Cavalia show features 41 horses and 36 riders, acrobats, aerialists, and musicians—as well as a 60 meter-wide projection screen—to celebrate the equestrian arts. I was responsible for the system commissioning and onsite training of Cavalia’s engineers in Abu Dhabi. We had exactly a month from the time the system was spec’d until the first performance, and it went amazingly well...Read more

~~~~~

Mixing the Reckless 30th Anniversary Tour with Robert Nevalainen
By Derk Hagedorn in Music March 12, 2015
Robert Nevalainen has not only been a sought after FOH and monitor engineer in the live sound industry for many years, but he’s also the founder of British Columbia-based Gearforce, one of Canada’s premier rental and audio production companies. I recently spoke with Rob, fresh back from Europe, as he was getting ready to go out to mix monitors for the Canadian leg of Bryan Adam’s Reckless 30th Anniversary Tour. I was keen to catch up and discuss how he and FOH engineer, Jody Perpick, were using dual VENUE | S3L-X systems for the tour...Read more

~~~~~

Café Tacvba Tours the World with VENUE
By Angel Ylisastigui on November 12, 2014
Luis Roman, FOH engineer, uses VENUE live systems exclusively for mixing Café Tacvba. We talked with him shortly after soundcheck about mixing Tacvba’s show and how he uses VENUE systems to help bring their music to fans around the world...Read more

~~~~~

My 11th Hour Call to Mix at the Paradise Music Festival
By Chant Peck on October 31, 2014
How many times have you been asked, last minute, to mix a band you’ve never heard of, on a PA you’ve never listened too, by someone who has never met you? This is the story behind my 11th hour call to mix the Paradise Music Festival in the Bahamas...Read more

~~~~~

On Tour with Massive Attack: Giving a Good Slap
By Robb Allan on October 8, 2014
As ever when you finish a tour you have mixed emotions. Sad to leave your roadie comrades behind, delighted to go home to your family. No more back lounge rider, no more bus bunks. Things we might have improved, things that went well. Definitely feel that we left this tour on the positive side of the reckoning…Read more

~~~~~

Check out the in-depth article on ProSoundWeb about the fresh system approaches deployed on the current Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers tour:
On The Edge: New Concert Sound Directions For Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
Robert Scovill and the sound team on the Hypnotic Eye tour
Oct. 05, 2014, by Keith Clark
Read on ProSoundWeb.com

~~~~~

Video Interview with Robb Allan on touring with Massive Attack
Published on October 1, 2014
Front of House Engineer Robb Allan made the jump from analog to digital in 2005 and hasn't looked back. Now touring with Massive Attack, Robb is delivery amazing sound each night with a VENUE | S3L-X system. Let's go behind the scenes to learn how Robb solves the challenges of mixing FOH for this widely popular band...watch

~~~~~

Phoenix—In the Studio and On Stage
By Aurélien Pichod on September 23, 2014
Deck, the band’s bass player and co-producer, as well as Laurent d’Herbécourt, recording and broadcast sound engineer, share their insights into Phoenix’s creative process and subsequent approach to bringing their latest album Bankrupt! to the stage...Read more

~~~~~

How I Mix Big Rock Sound with Polished Pop Vocals on a MacBook Pro While on the Road with Avril Lavigne
By Jason Decter on September 2, 2014
I’ve recently been mixing front of house for Avril Lavigne’s South American/Mexico tour and want to share an inside look at the preparation that went into getting this tour up and running...Read more

~~~~~

On Tour with Massive Attack: It Was the Best of Gigs, It Was the Maddest of Gigs
By Robb Allan on August 27, 2014
Glastonbury experience—even this cynical old roadie had to admit to feeling something other-worldly by the end of it all. It got me thinking about my favorite ever mixing experiences and maddest gigs...Read more

~~~~~

Join Award-Winning FOH Engineer Robert Scovill for a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Sound Check
By Robert Scovill on August 13, 2014
These sound check events are a golden opportunity for you to get an insider’s glimpse at just how these cutting edge technologies and features are actually being deployed on a daily basis at every stop of the tour...Read more

~~~~~

On Tour with Massive Attack—The Show Must Go On
By Robb Allan on July 25, 2014
This is my first Massive show in eight years. I’m a little nervous, and as the show starts with “Battlebox”, the hairs rise on the back of my neck and the 20,000 members of the crowd scream their encouragement...Read more

~~~~~

On Tour with Massive Attack—Production Rehearsals
By Robb Allan on July 11, 2014
The plan is to spend three days in the Massive Attack studio working on arrangements and ideas followed by five days of production rehearsals in the Bristol O2 Academy to get the show programmed. Let’s get started...Read more

~~~~~

Industry-Trusted Live Sound Systems with Amazing Sound and Maximum Flexibility on Display at InfoComm 2014 (Photos)
By Derk Hagedorn on June 27, 2014
From direct support of the same professional plug-ins used in top recording studios, to seamless Pro Tools integration and customizable I/O options, Avid is shaping the future of live sound at InfoComm 2014...Read more

~~~~~~

On Tour with Massive Attack—How Did I Get Here and Other Distractions
By Robb Allan on June 17, 2014
This summer I’m taking S3L on tour to mix FOH for my favorite band in the whole world, Massive Attack. I plan on writing about the equipment I use, production rehearsals, building my show file, plug-ins, virtual soundchecks, collaboration…Read more

~~~~~

Behind the Scenes with Charles de Schutter and -M-, Voted Concert of the Year 2014 in France
By Aurélien Pichod on June 16, 2014
At the recent -M- tour stop, Charles took time to give us an in-depth tour of the -M- live show, from how he handles the complex instrumentation and stage setup through his mixing approach and processing choices...Read more

~~~~~

Avid at InfoComm 2014
By Derk Hagedorn on June 6, 2014
If you’re heading to InfoComm 2014 in Las Vegas, NV (June 18-20), be sure to visit the Avid booth (C11716 – Central Hall, Audio Pavilion) to experience the groundbreaking S3L and other Avid live systems in person...Read more

~~~~~

Powerful New Capabilities for Avid S3L are Coming Soon with VENUE 4.5 and EuControl 3.2 Software Updates
By Al McKinna on May 28, 2014
A major enhancement to the S3L live system is comprised of two key software components—VENUE 4.5 and EuControl 3.2—that deliver a host of powerful new system capabilities. See what’s new...Read more

~~~~~

We’re Getting Bigger Sound Quality in Smaller Venues on Tour with Philip H. Anselmo and The Illegals
By Michael Thompson on May 20, 2014
Although space in the trailer is going to be an issue, I didn’t want to compromise on the sound quality of the live show and really pushed to carry our own FOH console.
Read more

~~~~~

I Got the Call to Monitor Engineer for Enrique Iglesias, Here’s What Happened Next
By Eddie Caipo on May 16, 2014
I knew this would require lots of preparation as well as attention to detail and immediately prepared to request my console of choice. Lucky for me, it’s what they were previously using and made for a much easier transition into the gig...Read more

~~~~~

McDSP Plug-ins Now Go from Studio to Stage with Qualified Support for Avid S3L Systems
By Colin McDowell on April 30, 2014
McDSP has qualified all its AAX DSP plug-ins to operate on the S3L systems, and even added a few improvements to better support the S3 control surface...Read more

~~~~~

VENUE Software is a Learn Once, Use Everywhere Approach
By Robert Scovill on April 28, 2014
Hold on to expertise and refine what you already know. Master the software designed to grow with you today and act as a bridge to future live sound products...Read more

~~~~~

Announcing an Expanded Live Sound AAX Plug-in Platform for the Avid S3L System
By Derk Hagedorn on March 12, 2014
Avid S3L live sound customers can now choose from a wide range of plug-ins from Avid as well as some of the world’s most respected developers including Crane Song, McDSP, and Sonnox...Read more

~~~~~

Avid at Prolight and Sound 2014
By Derk Hagedorn on March 6, 2014
We’ll have lots of great live sound demos and FOH guests at Prolight and Sound 2014, be sure to drop by and visit us in Hall 8, Stand G40A...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Blogs - Designing Avid S3L - Part 1 of 7
The following is the first of a seven-part blog series from Al McKinna, Principal Product Manager, Avid Live Systems & Consoles, that will provide a look inside the design of Avid S3L.

Designing Avid S3L: Birth of a Concept
By Al McKinna on August 15, 2013
Made by and for professionals, Avid S3L gives customers game-changing functionality never before achieved by a live sound console...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Blogs - Designing Avid S3L - Part 2 of 7

The S3 Control Surface: Seven Design Goals of a Revolutionary Console
By Al McKinna on August 30, 2013
What if the live sound console could also be used for the studio mix? What if a console could be made so super-compact it could be used in the tour bus or hotel room, so lightweight it could fly as checked baggage and is intelligent enough to behave like a live console in the auditorium and DAW controller on the bus when you’re mixing the recording? If a manufacturer could indeed design this console, you could record every show, mix every recording, publish the recordings and generate additional revenue streams for the artist — all from the tour bus. We designed it...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Blogs - Designing Avid S3L - Part 3 of 7

How Avid S3L and Ethernet AVB Create the Most Robust and Configurable Audio Network in Live Sound
By Al McKinna on September 13, 2013
Avid S3L and Ethernet AVB—a partnership that created the most robust and easiest to configure audio network of any live sound console available today...Read more

~~~~~

Recording Music with the Bas Bulteel Trio and Avid S3L
By Chris Lambrechts on September 23, 2013
Although I initially started using it for live sound, I soon realized after mixing a couple of gigs that Avid S3L really is much more—including recording music...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Blogs - Designing Avid S3L - Part 4 of 7

The Heritage of Avid Live Sound Systems Realized in an Ultra-Compact Console
By Al McKinna on September 26, 2013
Avid S3L offers you an abundance of new workflows, breaking the mold of what was conventionally thought possible in an incredibly powerful, compact, intuitive live sound system...Read more

~~~~~

PLASA 2013: Leading the Audio Industry with Avid Everywhere
By Al McKinna on October 18, 2013
Innovation takes center state at PLASA 2013 London. Learn how to connect with audiences in a more efficient, collaborative, and profitable way...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Blogs - Designing Avid S3L - Part 5 of 7

Designing and Optimizing Your Live Sound Monitor Mixing Workflows with Avid S3L
By Al McKinna on October 28, 2013

Find out how Avid S3L, an immensely powerful, compact and versatile digital live sound system, is heavily optimized for monitor mixing workflows...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Blogs - Designing Avid S3L - Part 6 of 7

The Power of Events with Avid S3L
By Al McKinna on November 21, 2013
The ability to link unrelated operations together via a detailed and user-friendly interface becomes tantamount to S3L’s effectiveness in high-pressured environments. This is exactly what the Events system was designed for. Learn how to power your Events...Read more

~~~~~

Avid Blogs - Designing Avid S3L - Part 7 of 7
The following is the final post of a seven-part blog series from Al McKinna, Principal Product Manager, Avid Live Systems & Consoles, that provides a look inside the design of Avid S3L.

Avid S3L: The Center of Your Live Production Environment
By Al McKinna on March 4, 2014
Avid S3L is more than a great-sounding mixing desk—it’s a total live production system and the central point of control of your live sound environment...Read more

~~~~~

See More Avid Blogs at avidblogs.com

Also see the Customer Stories section on Avid.com:And check out Robert Scovill's blog posts on SoundProLive.

~~~~~
Bruce Paine
Community Administrator
Avid Pro Audio Community
Old 03-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: Avid Blogs — Live Sound

Added latest blog post

~~~~~
Bruce Paine
Community Administrator
Avid Pro Audio Community