Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 02-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Default Venue - Windows Blue Screen

Hi all,

I have been using the Venue system for about 2 years plus and recently experienced a Windows Blue screen from the console screen for the very first time. Rebooting the system solved the issue.

Has anyone encountered this before?

thanks,
Jon
Old 02-07-2010, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Venue - Windows Blue Screen

First post I have ever seen about a Terminal Stop error on a Venue system. If it should happen again you should copy down the whole hex code message string E.G. "*** STOP 0x000000C2 BAD_POOL_CALLER"

Punch this string into Google and it should take you to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about some very specific causes for that particular message. BSODs are caused by very specific conditions and very rarely just happen at random (contrary to popular belief). A BSOD is not a random crash but a deliberate emergency shutdown indicating that the operating system has detected a serious hardware issue and has deliberately shut the computer down.

Posting the whole string here would GREATLY assist Sheldon also.

Most blue screens are caused by A) Bad device drivers B) A hardware fault. Most likely cause of failing hardware might be memory or a HDD.
Since the Venue is a closed environment the chances of it being a driver issue are nearly nonexistent.

Its not inconceivable that static electricity or a power surge might have caused a temporary BSOD and then dissipated once the unit reset.. I'm assuming that the unit was connected to a UPS and a suitable power conditioner.

Since this has only occurred once it may however actually be a genuinely random event.

This is presented as general PC advice. I do not own a Venue.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Avid

Hi Jon,

Sorry to hear about this. Please contact the VENUE support team ([email protected]) and reference this DUC post. They will provide you with instructions on how to recover some diagnostic files that may help identify the problem.

Sheldon
Old 10-19-2014, 02:41 PM

We were getting the Blue Screen on startups earlier this year. I reloaded the software and performed updates, and it worked fine for a few months. Recently, and on rare occasions, we've been getting the Blue Screen again on startup.

Unfortunately, I wasn't around today when it happened, and the tech onsite didn't capture a picture of the screen or error code. But he said it went to Blue Screen over 7 times (each time he would hold down power button on the back to perform a hard reset).

As a random troubleshoot, we unplugged the firewire cable that's interfacing with Pro Tools. We tend to run heavy DSP on plugins -- but not sure if that would be the error? He eventually got it started in safe mode, then restarted to try to get a clean boot. Sounds like it worked okay after that.

I'll contact Avid support to see if there is any way to figure out the error code retrospectively -- assuming it's firing on all cylinders when I start it up next time.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 PM

When in doubt, I usually reseat everything - chip, ram, DSP cards. You can also run with one ram stick and then just the other, to rule out a bad stick. More often then not, it's something being slightly dislodged, though if it's an install I might not go the same route.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 PM

Connected with Venue support -- they were great.

We:
  • Backed up mixer to USB drive
  • Booted from System restore CD and restored successfully
  • Performed updates to version 3.1.1.286 (...this was the only weird part -- it hung on the command window saying "Press any key". We waited for awhile and pressed a key every now and then, and eventually just closed the command window -- finding a restart prompt window hiding behind it.)
  • Transferred mixer settings back from USB drive
  • Installed all plugins (Waves through installer, Auto-tune via Windows desktop) Restarted as needed.
  • Shut down and installed new RAM per SC48 specs (2 GB now)
Booted up like a charm. But, as it has been an intermittent issue - we'll keep an eye on it.