Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-16-2019, 10:49 PM

Default MIDI Device Problems on PT 2019

I'll start by apologizing if this seems like a rudimentary question. I'm technically inept enough where this has stumped me.

For many years, I've recorded with PT 6.x, 7.x, and LE, an Mbox2 interface, and a MIDI keyboard (a Casio WK-3000). I recently (finally) got a new laptop with Windows 10 and some processing power, so I subscribed to PT 2019.

It's great with mics and DI instruments, but I can't get PT 2019 to recognize the Mbox2 as a MIDI input device, and thus can't get any virtual instruments to work. I run MIDI-OX and it tests fine. I've tried reinstalling drivers to no avail. I've watched more YouTube tutorials than I'd care to admit. I plug the Mbox back into my old computer/PT LE, and it works fine.

I'm hoping that those are more knowledgeable about these things than me (which is probably all of you!) can offer any suggestions. I realize that my interface is ancient at this point, so this budget conscious musician is hoping it's not a compatibility issue.

A very sincere thank you for any thoughts.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:08 AM

Default Re: MIDI Device Problems on PT 2019

Hi, so it isn't showing up under Setup-MIDI-MIDI Input Devices? Have you checked the Instrument options In/Out MIDI channels on the MIDI/Instrument channel in the Mix Window?

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-18-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Hi, so it isn't showing up under Setup-MIDI-MIDI Input Devices? Have you checked the Instrument options In/Out MIDI channels on the MIDI/Instrument channel in the Mix Window?
And in the PT prefs window in the MIDI section make sure that 'use first selected track' is checked.

I know the op mentioned that he checked with MIDI-OX and things were okay and that's an excellent bit of troubleshooting. Still I would make sure that all Windows power saving measures are turned off in Windows Control Panel. By default the USB ports are set to turn off after a certain amount of time.

QAPLA!
Old 09-18-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Thank you for the reply! Right, the Mbox2 isn't showing up under Setup>MIDI>MIDI Input Devices. (It does on my old version of PT LE). I messed around with the I/O on the channel, but nothing seems to work.

I thought maybe it did have something to do with the USB ports on the laptop, but I would think that it wouldn't power my Mbox if so.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletrainrec View Post
ight, the Mbox2 isn't showing up under Setup>MIDI>MIDI Input Devices.

I used to have this problem in Windows though I don't recall exactly what fixed it. Have you tried trashing preferences? You might also try uninstallling the keyboard or interface from Device Manager and performing a clean uninstall/reinstall of Pro Tools. Then reinstall the keyboard/interface drivers.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Thank you, cwsand and musicman691, for your input!

I have finally resolved the issue - I had, at one point, tried plugging my MIDI keyboard directly into the computer and setting it up separately as a MIDI device. I removed that, plugged back into my Mbox, and it worked like a charm.