Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Reverb Plug-ins (Recommendations)

When you say gain do you mean increasing the volume or adding the character of the units? When using EQs and compressors you should use the gain control to match the output level to unity gain rather than just to add volume which means that you should match the level of the effects to the level of the track when the effects are on bypass, otherwise the volume difference can fool your ears, here's an example:
https://youtu.be/BfEbiaWA6D8
Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
When you say gain do you mean increasing the volume or adding the character of the units? When using EQs and compressors you should use the gain control to match the output level to unity gain rather than just to add volume which means that you should match the level of the effects to the level of the track when the effects are on bypass, otherwise the volume difference can fool your ears, here's an example:
https://youtu.be/BfEbiaWA6D8
Wow, that was helpful. I’ve learned more here than a few days on YouTube. My recordings usually show up at around -10db because when I’m at -6db my microphone picks up detailed noises. I always had EQ that would bring my volume down, then I would adjust the gain on my compressor to bring it back up to be loud enough. You’re saying those are to make it sound identical volume-wise, but edited now, meaning I should still be around -10db. In order to be loud enough, I would have to raise my vocal track volume above 0db. I like my sound, but I’m trying to improve my recording and learn the right way.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 PM

I wouldn't go over -18, -10 usually turns red too quick. Instead use a limiter on your master track to raise the overall level of the mix, or even better turn your speakers up and leave loudness to the mastering stage.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't go over -18, -10 usually turns red too quick. Instead use a limiter on your master track to raise the overall level of the mix, or even better turn your speakers up and leave loudness to the mastering stage.
I have been looking into this for a while now, but haven't seemed to figure it out. I bring the master track down about -5.5 until there's no peaking going on. I have tried using the Maxim plug-in by bringing the ceiling down to about -0.3db, then moving the threshold to about -5.5 to match the difference. I still haven't gotten it to be the same volume without it sounding distorted.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardharvey View Post
I have been looking into this for a while now, but haven't seemed to figure it out. I bring the master track down about -5.5 until there's no peaking going on. I have tried using the Maxim plug-in by bringing the ceiling down to about -0.3db, then moving the threshold to about -5.5 to match the difference. I still haven't gotten it to be the same volume without it sounding distorted.
Because that's not the best way to do that. I suggest you forget about being loud during the mix and research about mastering as a separate process. Put your master track back to 0, turn down all your faders to around -12 and try to mix without your master turning red or even going over -6 on the loudest peaks . Is not going to be as loud as commercial mixes but then you can export the mix to a separate session and raise the level using some mastering tools. It is a good idea to research what the different production stages are for, maybe some online courses like Puremix or Lynda will be a comprehensive guide or even better, try to find a local tutor you can learn from in person, youtube is good for learning tricks and watch other people's workflows but you need to understand the basics of audio production first so you don't waste your time trying to make things work before they are ready.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Because that's not the best way to do that. I suggest you forget about being loud during the mix and research about mastering as a separate process. Put your master track back to 0, turn down all your faders to around -12 and try to mix without your master turning red or even going over -6 on the loudest peaks . Is not going to be as loud as commercial mixes but then you can export the mix to a separate session and raise the level using some mastering tools. It is a good idea to research what the different production stages are for, maybe some online courses like Puremix or Lynda will be a comprehensive guide or even better, try to find a local tutor you can learn from in person, youtube is good for learning tricks and watch other people's workflows but you need to understand the basics of audio production first so you don't waste your time trying to make things work before they are ready.
Thanks for all of your help. I appreciate it!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 AM

I love SSL's X-Verb

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-23-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I'm really enjoying Seventh Heaven, and I also like the Valhalla verbs. The new SoundToys Little Plate (free) is getting used too. There are plenty of terrific reverb choices out there, so in the end you will probably have to try them out to see what you like.
I saw that the Valhalla Vintage Verb is $50, but the Seventh Heaven reverb just dropped to $49. From watching tutorial videos, I’m loving the simplicity and quality of the Seventh Heaven reverb. Does anybody know if that works on Pro Tools 10.3.10?
Old 11-24-2017, 03:09 AM

Yes, Seventh Heaven works in PT 10.3.10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardharvey View Post
I saw that the Valhalla Vintage Verb is $50, but the Seventh Heaven reverb just dropped to $49. From watching tutorial videos, I’m loving the simplicity and quality of the Seventh Heaven reverb. Does anybody know if that works on Pro Tools 10.3.10?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Yes, Seventh Heaven works in PT 10.3.10.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I had contacted them, but they weren’t sure. I appreciate it.