Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Exporting MIDI data in STRIKE to play sounds from another drum machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdwlr View Post
Oh how do I copy it?
Select the midi data by swiping over it with the selector tool and hit copy. Then past it onto a newly created midi track. Basically it would be the same as copying and pasting anything in Pro Tools, not to mention anything on your computer.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Exporting MIDI data in STRIKE to play sounds from another drum machine?

ok, maybe I'm saying wrong... but what I'm doing is engaging the button on the lower left that says "EXP MIDI" (see attached photo) I am able to capture the performance and drag it from the 'EXP MIDI' button right onto the track, and then I copy and paste it onto another track with another 3rd party VI. If that is what you are talking about, then that is already what I've tried...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strike .jpg (80.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-20-2017, 07:39 PM

When you drag the MIDI to the Timeline using Strike version 1's Export MIDI button, it'll read: Strike Ch. 15-01 (and subsequent numbers). I know if you change the MIDI Output selector from Strike 1-1 to Strike 1-15 it will play Strike – see attached image).
What I don't know (I don't have Strike version 1 installed to test this), is whether changing the MIDI Output selector to Strike 1-2 will play another DRUM VI. (Please test and advise!) My reasoning is that Strike version 2's Channel 15 will only play Strike, whereas Strike version 2's Channel 2 (General MIDI or GM) will play other DRUM VIs – see attached image).
If this doesn't work, as opposed to using the Export MIDI button in Strike version 1, you could write your own MIDI, as shown in this video: Pro Tools | Drum Routing Tutorial with Strike Part 1 | Bryan Dale | Pyramind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXYdzm8Bi1E The MIDI Output selector has been changed from Strike 1-1 to Strike 1-2, which can be used to play other DRUM VIs.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:57 PM

For those using Strike 2 and Pro Tools 11 or 12:
Set Strike Channel 2's output to another Drum VI - then play it using Strike's GM. Record some GM MIDI ( = Strike's Channel 2) in the RECORD EXPORT box in Strike's lower right-hand corner by hitting the red button and playing some loops – then drag'n drop the GM MIDI (don't bother stopping it recording) far-left into Pro Tools TRACKS List. (The “FULL” MIDI in the RECORD EXPORT box = Channel 15 - it only plays Strike). Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK”.
Add an Instrument Track – insert another DRUM VI then set Strike's Channel 2 output to your chosen VI - then play it using Strike's GM.
So now your expanded kit can be Strike playing Strike, coupled with Strike also playing the same loop in your chosen DRUM VI – or you can have Strike just playing its loop in your chosen DRUM VI - without the Strike kit. Have fun!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Makes sense Unk. Just have to say that personally, I don't particularly love the sounds that come with Strike. Would make sense, to me at least, to trigger another software drum sampling software instead.

To the OP, why not just right your drum track in the drum software that suits your tastes?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
.... personally, I don't particularly love the sounds that come with Strike. Would make sense, to me at least, to trigger another software drum sampling software instead.
I'm sure many (including me!) agree with you and use Strike to trigger another DRUM VI.
Perhaps Strike 2's powerful Editor is probably the main reason people still use it today – especially for those who like to “write their own”, or edit existing Patterns, Parts, Styles, Velocities etc.

There's also (from the Manual):
Sample Import – Strike lets you import your own WAV or AIFF sample sounds to create new Instruments in a Kit. You can do this by clicking the folder icon and locating your desired sound file in the prompt that appears. Once a custom sample is loaded, the Instrument channel strip updates to show an audio file icon and the name of the file at the bottom of the channel strip. In this mode, the Instrument Load Size and Timbre Shift controls are greyed out.
You can mix the direct signal from the loaded sample using the Close Mics control in the Mix Page. Strike emulates the Room, Overhead, and Talkback Mics for imported samples as well.
Tip: If the loaded sample's directory contains other audio files, you can click the left and right arrow icons to cycle through the other files in that directory.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
To the OP, why not just right your drum track in the drum software that suits your tastes?
Well, its pretty easy to get a performance out of it that feels really good at least for me, I'm just not that great at writing beats unfortunately and dont really like working with the midi files that come with the other software... I like the latch feature on strike and you can try to throw in the different triggers halfway through the measure to achieve interesting fills etc. it feels more human but sounds lousy in my opinion

Anyway, thank you unk! Unfortunatly I dont think that is going to work... I did however get strike to play the exported MIDI data on channel 15! So, that is very helpfull!! I'm just going to make my own map. itll take time but oh well, or else I can just go ahead and get version 2
Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdwlr View Post
I'm just going to make my own map. itll take time but oh well ....
Russ Hughes from Pro Tools Expert has kindly just given me permission to post his 2010 AIR Users Blog Strike (version 1) Note Mapping ... hope this helps you and others!

Goodonya Russ!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
I would simply copy the midi track, as opposed to exporting it, and then see if the export and the copy are the same.

Also, it's just a fact of life that different drum software uses different midi notes for each kit piece. There is nothing really that you can do about that. The universal midi protocol was never really embraced by the developers, for many reasons.
I think you're talking about the GM sound assignments for drums. BFD3's GM assignments are wrong on major points and even when notified they don't seem keen on fixing it.

QAPLA!
Old 08-21-2017, 06:46 AM

I would drag a copy the midi clip to the instrument you want to use, then select all the kick notes (for example) to the kick note of the preferred instrument, then the snare, hi hat etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk