Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-27-2001, 11:24 AM
Jim Clark

Default I am so bummed about 5.1

because I can't use it. I am a Pro Tools III TDM user and I feel like I am now on the sidelines, because 5.1 won't work with my hardware.
I just had to vent.
Thank you.

Regards,

Jim Clark
Media Music
Old 02-28-2001, 07:49 PM

Default Re: I am so bummed about 5.1

haha

...sorry
Old 03-04-2001, 11:51 AM

who laughs last laughs best mr.blake ,
i am on your side jim , and i am starting kinda wondering , too why digidesigns acting like they do ??? without people like us digidesign would have never become what they are ... but sometimes people forget to fast ...
Old 03-04-2001, 02:05 PM

It really is too bad. I think that Digi is able to write better software if they don't have to think about legacy systems.Unfortunately, there a lot of users out there with older systems.

I doubt they would do it, but they really should come up with a better upgrade plan. In other words a more fair upgrade plan. Digi acts like it's so great that they offer these hardware upgrades. Here is a quote from the upgrade page:

"Our commitment to upgradability provides one of the truly unique benefits of a Digidesign system. Digidesign offers hardware exchanges for two reasons: to help our longtime users get the newest system at a reduced cost, and to allow users to expand the capabilities of their DAW as their needs change."

But then look at their prices: $7995 for a Mix plus system if you trade in your PT3 hardware and one DSP card. You can get a MixPlus system for the same price or even less at many retailers. Why would anyone trade in their hardware?

I am not an accountant, but there has got to be a better formula for upgrades. I bet Digi would make more money, keep more customers and keep their customers happier. I own a MixPlus, so for now i am okay. But it won't be long before I am in the same boat of needing to upgrade.

I think that part of the advantage of paying a premium price for hardware should be that you can upgrade for a fair price. Obivously, they still have to make money. But giving the same discount that retailers already give for no trade in is not fair.

At the very least they should apply their exchange prices to actual street prices. But I think they should offer even more than that. But they probably never will.

Old 03-04-2001, 02:07 PM

Cmon guys, it's not like they had a choice and said "screw those PTIII users", welllll maybe they did, i dunno -- hehe.

The simple fact is, on my MIX system with woofie & tweetie and say 16 tracks, the system is MAXED OUT when using surround.

My point being, PT III hardware just couldn't handle 5.1
Old 03-05-2001, 08:23 AM

Technical impossible

------------------
somewhere in the planet
Old 03-05-2001, 08:52 AM

Unfortunate, but true. However, all 888/16 interfaces will work with 24bit 5.1 (in AES I/O). There, PT-3 IS compatible with 5.1.

It's called obsolesence, and it's planned. Otherwise, ALL upgrades would be free(software), and versions would never be released with bugs. $8k is WAY too much for what you get - there are some host-based programs that cost under a grand that have features that make PT 5.1 look like a pteradactyl. If Digi would suddenly cyt prices in half and give out rebates to current loyal owners, they'll keep their owner base - if not, hey, for grins I can buy
software "N" for home, learn it, & replace PT in 6 months.
Old 03-05-2001, 03:29 PM
Jim Clark

As mooch says
"You are on the sidelines as we all will be if we don't upgrade every couple of years. That's the nature of beast."

very true, and I do know that, but it was therapeutic for me to emote a bit on the DUC

and I'm glad there IS a DUC - it has been helpful many times in many ways...
Old 03-05-2001, 11:13 PM

when are they gonna bring those MIX prices down? i'd love to upgrade, but who the hell has $8000 to throw around? i sure as hell don't. it should cost $4000 max. that's reasonable. i could buy two used cars for $8000. i could buy 4 new G4's. i don't care what anyone wants to say in defense of that price. ProTools is the best industry standard blah blah... man are they cashing in with that spiel. its ridiculous. i have to stick with PTIII with 5.0 and no Direct Connect, because no other reasonable tdm offer exists from Digidesign. i don't wanna use some other program. i just want them to quit being so merciless with their pricing. this is a rant, so don't bother responding if its to tell me i'm wrong or that's just the way it is. i've heard it all and i know that's how it is. this is just a comforting rant for those who feel the same way. enjoy.
Old 03-06-2001, 12:04 AM

You are on the sidelines as we all will be if we don't upgrade every couple of years. That's the nature of beast.