Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-29-2005, 09:21 AM

Default BFD clicks and pops

I just started using BFD from fxpansion. Pretty damn cool program. I think I've got it all setup properly, but I'm getting clicks and pops at the tails of many of the samples....particularly those with a lot of low end info...kick, toms, etc. I've got the BFD data on it's own separate FW400 drive. Tried messing with the H/W buffer size in PT's and it didn;t seem to make any difference...even at the rediculously large 8000+ samples setting. I'm on a G5 Dual 2.5Gig Machine w/ 2.5 Gigs of RAM. PT 6.9.1cs1. HD3 The session I'm working in is pretty small, Acoustic Guitar, Vox and then the BFD tracks. Nothing too intensive that would bog the system down. Anybody had this type of behaviour when using BFD. Did a search and learned some interesting tidbits about how system intensive BFD can be....but no one mentioned these symptoms. Tried running BFD in 16bit mode...no improvement.

Ideas?

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

MacPro 12core 2.66Gh Westmere
OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
2x HD i/o 16x16, 1x Digi192 8in/16out
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: BFD clicks and pops

You need more ram. 2.5 gigs will not cut it. Bummer, huh?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:14 AM

Are you kidding? How much do I need to get this thing running smoothely? Are you a user? Your setup shows 6+Gigs of RAM! This is nuts.

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 08-29-2005, 11:58 AM

Yes. I use BFD w/ XFL every day. I simply was not able to get performance where I wanted it until I had 4.5 gigs of ram. I went to 6.5 for insurance.

Play with the utility, "activity monitor" - and put the ram monitor into your dock. You'll be amazed at the amount of ram you're using and how little you have in reserve.

launch protools, then launch activity monitor, and analayze how much available ram you have... I would like to see at least a gig of ram available for BFD. I would imagine that you have less than 500 megs avail. yes?

Upping the ram has also helped me in that I never have errors from the virtual instruments anymore... I'm certain more ram helped me out here.

YMMV
Old 08-29-2005, 12:03 PM

I have BFD and I had it running on my old G4 with 1.5 GB ram. Now I have a G5 with 4 GB and it runs much smoother but it did run on my G4. You should have enough.

I found BFD to be very particular about settings. You may have already found this but if not, go here to view the section on performance tips: http://fxpansion.com/support-main.php?supopt=supfaq&n=bfd. RAM cache and streaming settings may need to be changed. I also had to put the CPU Usage Limit in Pro Tools at 95% otherwise it didn't want to work.

If that doesn't help post a message on their forum with your current settings. They are very helpful.

Hope this helped you.

Steve
Old 08-29-2005, 12:41 PM

Activity Monitor is telling me that I've got 1.5 Gigs free. Do you run your BFD data and xfl from a second internal SATA drive? I read somewhere that that is the preferred setup as the FW ports on the G5's actually share the same bus as the PCI-X slots....therefore competing for bandwidth with my HD cards. I don't know...another internal SATA drive is a lot cheaper than another 4 Gs of RAM. I'm waiting to hear back from the fxpansion guys. I posted there (that stupid third party support forum) this morning and haven;t seen any responses. Sent and email to tech support. Maybe I'll hear something soon...other than snap crackle and pop!

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 PM

I have my BFD kit data including XFL on an external firewire 800 drive. With my G5 2.5 / 4GB RAM, I can run the largest XFL kits at 24 bit with no problems. I have a Pro Tools HD2 Accel setup. My audio files for Pro Tools are on an internal SATA drive, but my samples, such as BFD kits, are on the external firewire 800.

Hopefully they will get back to you soon. Stay on top of them and they will. I know, it's not like calling tech support. I hate that part about it. It took some patience on my part, but they did fix the problems I was having.

Steve
Old 08-30-2005, 09:23 AM

Use premium RAM and lots at least 4 GB on a G5. Do not use cheap RAM I replaced all my RAM with Corsair no more audio pops.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:48 PM

Been dealing with the tech at fxpansion trying to troubleshoot this. He was convinced that I had enought RAM and that something was interfering with the FW bus bandwidth..therefore causing the clicks. So I grabbed another SATA drive and stuck it inthe G5..so that I could get off the FW/PCI bus and .....it didn't help a bit. So I'm thinking you guys must be right. It must be a RAM issue...as in "I NEED MORE!" Was hoping I wouldn't have to go out and drop more $. The techs on the fxpansion board haven't repied to my posts all day. Think maybe the're giving up on me.

BTW: They were asking if PT's was creating a "Digidesign Database" on thededicated BFD Data drive...and I replied "yes". Is there a way to prohibit PT's from accessing a drive? I was thinking that defining it as a Play/Record/Transfer (P/R/T) in the browser might make a difference...it did not.

Suggestions?

And another question...where do you recommend buying RAM?

www.shirkmusic.com
www.hearya.com

OSX v10.7.5
20GB RAM
1x HDX
PT HD v10.3.7
Old 08-31-2005, 09:04 PM

Hey Stephen,

Your not the only one who is having this problem. I run a Dual 1 gig with 2 gig of RAMon OSX 10.4.2 and 6.93.cs1 and I have to painstakingly punch-in my drums all most every 2 bars to avoid all the clicks/pops/drop-outs that occur when I am using BFD.

Also has anyone else noticed that the XFL Crash's (Z's and Sabians) when triggered with a velocity over 120 on the decay the emit a painfully loud noise, almost like a cymbal sample being chopped off half way through the sample. It's is most frustrating.

Otherwise BFD is a pretty amzing program. I just wish it was more stable.

JFK