Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM

Default AVID PLEASE CLARIFY: PTs License xsfer method

Can someone from AVID please confirm HOW a Protools system (HD1 Accel Core card with PTHD10 license for example) is transfered from one user to another. There is a LOT of misinformation floating around right now because of PACE's apparent restriction of transfer of PTs licenses. I'd love a definitive answer as to the PROCESS of transfer of ownership FROM AVID.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:22 PM

Default Re: AVID PLEASE CLARIFY: PTs License xsfer method

Is this too much to ask Avid?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Can someone from AVID please confirm HOW a Protools system (HD1 Accel Core card with PTHD10 license for example) is transfered from one user to another. There is a LOT of misinformation floating around right now because of PACE's apparent restriction of transfer of PTs licenses. I'd love a definitive answer as to the PROCESS of transfer of ownership FROM AVID.
Hi,

the exact finer details are being put together now and will be available soon. it has been passed on to CS to be detailed and a meeting has taken place so just the finer points to get finished.

no doubt it will require contacting Avid to inform ilok to release the ilok auth to the new owner etc. but the exact details will be out soon and the transfer of ownership details on the website will be updated.

worth noting that its always been in the EuLa that HD licenses must be sold with hardware etc, so transferring of HD licences alone will likely not be possible! but nothings been finalised yet.

chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:00 AM

Any official word from AVID on transfer process? Now there are posts claiming that transferring ownership requires a ASC that costs something like $80.

AVID please explicitly state the transfer of ownership process SOMEWHERE. It's difficult to make a sale/purchase when you don't know HOW TO DO IT or what it's going to cost!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:54 PM

I have had two phone calls from Avid this week on this issue, which I am still waiting to have resolved. My iLok asset is still locked from transfer. They told me they are working with Pace to get this worked out. I still believe it's a Avid issue but they have to inform Pace of the change on a case by case basis. The actual "Transfer" setting on iLok is a global setting so switching mine would switch all the same licenses for everyone. I'm hoping Avid just sets mine to null and sends a new license to the person I want transfer the PT9/10 bundle to. They did not indicate this would cost any money.

Fill out a registration issue request at Avid support online (it's free) and this creates a case number. Explain what you are trying to do in detail and then they have it on record. Hope this helps. -Frank
Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Just wanted to point out that when Pro Tools 9 was released, AVID justified the high upgrade price with the fact that Pro Tools 9 was the first release to be unbundled from AVID/M-Audio hardware.

Prior to this the existing policy of ownership transfer of hardware+software made sense, however since Pro Tools 9 WE ALL ACTUALLY PAID A PREMIUM on the software.
So AVID, please consider your (in my opinion wrong) policy of blocking iLok transfers for licenses of Pro Tools versions 9/HD9 and later. Keep in mind that since the advent of Pro Tools 9 HD users don't get a backup license either.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:06 AM

I would like to add another thought - digidesign and AVID have for years restricted usability of the Pro Tools software, either by tying it to certain hardware or by crippling lower cost software.

Though I would consider myself a die-hard Pro Tools fan, when I recommend a DAW to my customers, I still recommend Cubase, simply because it works as expected with almost any hardware. This is still not the case with Pro Tools and in my opinion the main reason for the lack of Pro Tools' popularity in Germany.

Just food for thought from a 1998 DUC member.