Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2016, 03:31 AM

Default Newbie problem with virtual instruments

Hi all.

I'm having a problem with virtual instruments in ProTools 8.0.5. I am setting up an instrument track but nothing appears in the insert list at all. The only option available to me is TL Metro. Have tried stereo and mono tracks just in case but it doesn't make any difference.

System is Windows 7, DigiDesign 002, Pro Tools 8.0.5 (but I had the same problem in 8.0.4 - have just upgraded today). Pro Tools is installed on the system drive, plenty of memory, no other programs running at the same time etc. Everything else seems to be working fine certainly.

I've installed the Creative Collection via the installer but it hasn't made any difference. I know I'm probably missing something obvious but can't figure out what it is so any help greatly appreciated
Old 02-07-2016, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Newbie problem with virtual instruments

You would need to use a STEREO INSTRUMENT track, but is there nothing showing up in the Plugins menu>Instrument sub-category? If nothing is in there, are you making any selections as to the install location, or do you let the installer take care of everything(just clicking Okay to get thru)? Some other details to check:
Did you run the Pro Tools installer AND the 8.0.5 updater using the Run as administrator option?(you need to)
Did you install Pro Tools onto the C: drive?(you must)
Right-click on the PT icon and select Properties>Compatibility tab and find these 2 items:
"Disable Desktop Composition", and "Always Run as Admin"
check both

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Newbie problem with virtual instruments

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You would need to use a STEREO INSTRUMENT track, but is there nothing showing up in the Plugins menu>Instrument sub-category? If nothing is in there, are you making any selections as to the install location, or do you let the installer take care of everything(just clicking Okay to get thru)?
Nothing is showing up at all. I just let the installer take care of everything.

Quote:
Did you run the Pro Tools installer AND the 8.0.5 updater using the Run as administrator option?(you need to)
Yes

Quote:
Did you install Pro Tools onto the C: drive?(you must)
Yes

Quote:
Right-click on the PT icon and select Properties>Compatibility tab and find these 2 items:
"Disable Desktop Composition", and "Always Run as Admin"
check both
Both are now checked but it hasn't made any difference. Should I run the installer again now?