Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM

Default Let me get this straight..

I need to pay $350 to upgrade to HD9 so that I can now have DigiTranslator and MP3 included in the purchase price? I already own those.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the only advantage to paying this upgrade fee is so that I can run it without hardware which I already own?
IMDB
Old 11-04-2010, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Let me get this straight..

you don't need to do anything. if you already have the features, then just use them instead of being mad.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
you don't need to do anything. if you already have the features, then just use them instead of being mad.
Who's mad?
IMDB
Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM

you were, before you edited your post. nice one.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM

:)
IMDB
Old 11-04-2010, 05:24 PM

thanks for the laugh. as for me i'm stuck on 8.0.1 cause i can't afford to replace my g5, so i'm just making some music till that lottery ticket falls out of the sky...
Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO Composer View Post
I need to pay $350 to upgrade to HD9 so that I can now have DigiTranslator and MP3 included in the purchase price? I already own those.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the only advantage to paying this upgrade fee is so that I can run it without hardware which I already own?
That is, indeed, correct (well, there's a couple new minor features...), but we think having that ability is worth the price.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:33 PM

It does seem kinda sucky that people like me who have bought Digitranslator, MP3, DV Toolkit, all of those things, don't get any extra upgrade path. Oh well.

I was kinda thinking the same thing, what's worth it in PT9 for the $349. I can think of a couple of reasons I'll pretty surely upgrade:

Proper 7.1 panning in DTS standard, in addition to SDDS standard. This shouldn't be something to have to pay for, PT8 should have included this. Oh well.

But the one thing that is pretty cool, is to take that iLok asset from PT9 HD and have it run PT software on the laptop. So basically you get a free full license of ProTools LE (I know, now it's just called ProTools) included with HD.

Not many other new features that matter to me. But still exciting to finally see them actually working on the product. Long way to go, MIDI timing, RTAS performance, track freezing, all these things but for the first time in some time, I think maybe they're actually going to do those things.

But a Software release of PT that can use anyone's hardware, will turn out to be the smartest thing Avid ever did, and $599 for it, with street prices I'm sure coming in somewhere nearer the Logic's $500 price tag, man, pretty smart move Avid.

And that new iLok, I want that thing now!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
It does seem kinda sucky that people like me who have bought Digitranslator, MP3, DV Toolkit, all of those things, don't get any extra upgrade path. Oh well.
I hear ya. I finally bought that crappy mp3 option only about a month ago (oh, and yeah, I've got Digitranslator too, but have had that for a few years already). I'm not gonna raise hell over $20, but I sure hope that now that it's included they've at least updated it to retain preferences! So silly.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IO Composer View Post

Hi,

Yes i've bought all those options as well and i want the midi fix from PT 9 but £290 UK pounds for a midi fix

There should be another upgrade path for those who bought digi translator and the other options for pretty good $$$$$

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.