Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-04-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Mastering Issue (After Bounces)

Hey everybody, I just mixed a tv program that had 3 stereos track, really simple and all...I was using a Finalplug plugin and it sounded fine with no clipping. But I needed to export each track (regular bounce) and after that, imported to final cut and when I played, it was cliping...does anyone know what happened? Just to make sure, I opened a new PT session and imported all bounces and the clipping appear also...sorry if my English sucks, but I'm from Brazil.

thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Mastering Issue (After Bounces)

If you import any commercial cd into protools it will clip. I don't really know why this is, but it always happens.

I would just make sure you limit (if you dont, just that it doesn't clip as you did). If you're good on the output, you're ok for playback.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 10-05-2006, 02:56 AM

I believe ProTools shows 3 full level samples in a row as clipping, so if there is 0 db brickwall limiting you may well see this as clipping.

The other (probably obvious) cause is not panning the imported stereo track 100% L/R which will sum the tracks and clip the master bus.

Hope this helps
Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 AM

My suggestion is maybe you exported/bounced each individual track with the final plug over the master fader. so that each stereo channel is limited. when you line these up together they will each be limited to 0db or whatver you set finalplug to limit to, when plaaying them back together they will cli pthe master bus as they were limited separately and not as a composite mix.

just re bounce everything minus final plug. line up, then put final plug over the stems as the last step before delivering
Old 10-05-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Protools (and any other program) seems to import a few tenths of a db hotter than the cd is.
It doesn't. Pro Tools (all all other similar applications for that matter), just import exactly what's on the disc without any gain change. The vast majority of modern CD's are compressed to a ridiculous extent, and have peak levels which constantly hit full scale (0dBfs). Most applications indicate full scale digital as clipping.