Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Komplete 12 drops today - who's going to be the first?

I have K9 that barely gets used anymore. I've replaced much of Komplete with standalone VSTs. Massive is nice but Serum is just way, way better. Same goes for a lot of other instruments in Komplete - you usually get better performance with standalone VSTs.

Still great for a value buy honestly (Serum alone was 20 monthly payments lol). But if you have alternatives, skip and pick standalone instruments instead
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Komplete 12 drops today - who's going to be the first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymakesmusic View Post
I have K9 that barely gets used anymore. I've replaced much of Komplete with standalone VSTs. Massive is nice but Serum is just way, way better. Same goes for a lot of other instruments in Komplete - you usually get better performance with standalone VSTs.

Still great for a value buy honestly (Serum alone was 20 monthly payments lol). But if you have alternatives, skip and pick standalone instruments instead
I tried Serum and was not impressed. Comparing Serum to Kontakt isn't a fair comparison. For a Kontakt comparison look at UVI Falcon even though it doesn't have the third party support Kontakt has. And as for Serum Falcon and Avenger are the ones to compare to there. I actually found Avenger easier to get on with than Serum. I'm not saying Avenger is perfect; their authorization scheme makes me want to puke and yearn for iLok.

All that being said most of what I have in Komplete 9 barely gets used here as well. There's the odd use of Absynth 5 or FM8 and as far as Guitar Rig 5 - it's seen better days as it hasn't had an update in a dog's age. Kontakt gets the most usage and even that is mainly for percussion. My orchestral needs get taken care of by EWQLSO. The only reason I haven't ditched Kontakt is I can't afford a full suite of Vienna instruments.

All this is coming from someone who's been a part of the Kontakt ecosystem since the original release of that vi. And that was WAYYYYY before there was any Komplete package. There's been so much that NI has taken away from Kontakt in version 6 I can't recommend that anyone 'upgrade' to it UNLESS there's a library you want to use that requires it and right now there's nothing that does that.

As far as Massive X I'm waiting to see what NI has that'll make me want to buy that upgrade. Other than that NI ain't getting any money from me.

QAPLA!