Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Making a new gap with different time signatures

Guys,

I need some help. I have run across several clients that have different time signatures through their songs. I know how to change the time signature...however if I need to add a measure or take out a measure here and there because they change their mind after doing a concept, I have issues.

Here is an example. I establish a TS of 4/4 all the way to the chorus. Then I have 2 bars of 6/4 and 2 bars of 8/4. No problem unless they want to change later in the game and I have a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]load of MIDI done. It screws everything up on the time line. Maybe I am missing something. It also messes up my memory markers and I have to manually move each one of those.

My workaround has been to bounce all the midi to audio then chop it up and move it while editing. This is a big pain in the rear.

Thanks for any suggestions.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 PM

Try 'Cut Time'.

filosofem
Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
Guys,

I need some help. I have run across several clients that have different time signatures through their songs. I know how to change the time signature...however if I need to add a measure or take out a measure here and there because they change their mind after doing a concept, I have issues.

Here is an example. I establish a TS of 4/4 all the way to the chorus. Then I have 2 bars of 6/4 and 2 bars of 8/4. No problem unless they want to change later in the game and I have a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]load of MIDI done. It screws everything up on the time line. Maybe I am missing something. It also messes up my memory markers and I have to manually move each one of those.

My workaround has been to bounce all the midi to audio then chop it up and move it while editing. This is a big pain in the rear.

Thanks for any suggestions.
make sure you have a tempo map set up with your time sig. that way if you have to change bar 16 from 4/4 to 6/4, you just go into your tempo map on bar 16, make the change, and things on timeline adjust to the new timeline. now you're ready to add whatever you need to for your additional 2 beats in the 6/4 measure. right off, i'm not sure how this would affect your markers.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 07-22-2008, 11:16 PM

How do you make a tempo map?

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
How do you make a tempo map?
actually looks like what might be best for you is settin' up 'meter events'. i have not used this function. so best to check out 'INSERTING METER EVENTS' from the HELP MENU. this way you don't have to worry about the tempo map. but both are there in the help menu.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 AM

Hi!
Since I work with multiple time sigs all the time (prog rock)...
It depends on what you need to do. Place tracks in Sample base mode, and do what you want... just realize that meter AND/OR tempo will not affect Sample based tracks. So if you want to alter tempo, likely you will want meter based tracks... unless you are inserting measures that you want to (exclusively) have a different tempo, while all else remains as is (time wise). Also realize that the start point of the insertion will be where PT splits everything and "pushes" it all forward. I try to prepare by splitting first so I can see what will need to be trimmed, and how. Region Groups can be useful sometimes for this as well. Event->Time->Insert Time, and set it accordingly. Be sure to use the "All" option, and if you prepare properly, all should be golden.

As an example:
I have a song right now that is a 3 parter, over 10 mins long. In part 2, I decided I wanted an 8 bar section to play twice instead of once. Problem is (was), it was 4/4 prior to this section, and then the section went 1 bar 3/4, 3 bars 5/4, 1 bar 3/4, 3 bars 5/4. I grouped my regions on all tracks, set all tracks to sample base, split at the insertion point, and then Insert Time beginning at that point.

Luckily, this time it was easy. A bit of math shows it to be 36 quarter notes needed. Since bar one of the inserted bit will need to be 3/4, and since 3 divides into 36.. tada! Simple. Insert 12 bars of 3/4. Then change 5 bars of 3/4 to 3 bars of 5/4, which automatically creates a new 3/4 following. Skip a bar, and do another 5 bars of 3/4 to 3 bars of 5/4, and all done.

The big thing is to simply do a "Save As" prior, region group with all tracks set to sample base.. this way, meter or tempo change will not affect anything. Simply pushes it along down the line. When you use Insert Time, choose the proper time sig ahead of time, and then you can ungroup and revert tracks back to time base if you choose. In my case above, had I not had easy division, it would have been a *simple* matter of inserting groups of like meter one at a time.. IOW, insert measure of 3/4, then 3 of 5/4, etc.

More info than needed, but it is early for me still... and I babble
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.