Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-22-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Share your Pawn Shop/Garage sale gems w/ us!

I've bought so much good crap from the pawn shops and garage sales....Here's my list...

Mesa Boogie studio 22+ $110 Pawn shop

AKG C414uls $100 Garage sale

Peavey VMP mic pre $200 Pawn shop

TC Electronic SCF pedal $100 music store?

AKG C3000b $75 Pawn shop

Ibanez AS80 jazz guitar $200

Lexicon lxp15 $50 Pawn shop

I'm sure I have more but I cant remember all of the stuff I've accumulated

Old 08-22-2003, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Share your Pawn Shop/Garage sale gems w/ us!

My best find is one that I actually got second hand.

A good friend bought a vintage grommes, 6 channel all tube mixer. Came from a little old church in the Appalachians that only used it on Sundays. $50 I think he paid.

All tube, all point-to-point wired; with tube EQ and tube rectifier. 4 mic channels, 1 phono and 1 line. Thickest sound you have ever heard! I got it from him recently as he doesn't really have the space for it.

D
Old 08-22-2003, 05:47 PM

Thats sick...I really need to check the little old churches myself, I totally forgot that they have tons of stuff that they dont use....
Old 08-22-2003, 07:32 PM

Yeah, if I recall correctly, they wanted to get rid of it to get a wackie...

You got some damn hot deals yourself. The VMP especially!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:54 PM

Hey Valvebrother,

I have that very same Grommes tube mixer at my place. I bought it from a place that specializes in both audio and scuba gear here in London, Canada. I got an Ashley comp/limiter for $50 (Can) and the Grommes for $40. Mine will probably sound better when I get around to retubing it. It looks great, though....
Old 08-22-2003, 11:49 PM

I have two...

Urei 7110 compressor traded one of my students for a bass lesson... came from a church that didn't want it.

Kalamazoo (Gibson) 60's tube tremelo amp... sitting on my neighbors curb with the garbage.. it works (rocks actually) and made it on a few tracks on the new CD!!!!
When I told him what he had thrown out... he gave me the Gibson fuzz tone pedal he got back then to go with it...

002R, AMD2500+

Gear List:
http://www.davidkarns.com/studio.html
Old 08-23-2003, 06:09 AM

I Guess we're all going back to church ,,best deal i got wasn't from a pawn shop,,but from a dealer,,i scored a Fender Jazz Delux for the price the store paid,,and no tax,,just becouse i used to go in there every day to play it trying to deside if i should live poor for six months and just go a head and buy it,,I think the store got so over me that they desided they would never sell it anyway,,it's a very odd sort-a-blue,,it was that people would come in and play it,,then say "Cool,,i'll take a black one",,
Old 08-23-2003, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Hey Valvebrother,

I have that very same Grommes tube mixer at my place. I bought it from a place that specializes in both audio and scuba gear here in London, Canada. I got an Ashley comp/limiter for $50 (Can) and the Grommes for $40. Mine will probably sound better when I get around to retubing it. It looks great, though....
Andy!

Cool; I managed to dig up a copy of the schematics and "manual" for it if you need one to ever get it worked on. Just email me. Mine has been retubed and sounds great. I've wired up the terminal style balanced ins and outs and use it all the time on synth patches or just for the EQ. I have a few caps going bad that need replacing, but other than that mine is almost mint.

D
Old 08-23-2003, 09:02 PM

Thanks Valve, but I believe mine came with a schematic. I've likely stashed it somewhere. The unit may be kind of run-down, but I was inspired to use it today. A very saturated and present vocal track is the result. I seem to remember they had a couple more of these things in varying states of disrepair. Maybe I'll check them out this week.

-A
Old 08-24-2003, 10:31 PM

Great thread

There's been a few times I've been in the right place at the right time. Here's a few examples with prices in Aus dollars -

Roland System 100 synth.
Previous owner purchased it new in 1975 and barely used it. It sat in his home studio until I bought it in mint condition with the original boxes and manuals.
Paid $400.

Roland System 700 sequencer.
This gem was actually given to me by a friend who had two of them. It didn't work but he said if I can get it going, I can keep it. So I did. It cost me a grand total of $10 worth of parts to fix and a couple of hours of time.

Roland Juno 6.
This one cost me a set of second hand Ford Cortina tyres. Seriously

Roland Juno 106.
Bought it from a friend. Cost me $80.

Roland SH-09.
This one came from a work colleague and cost me $60.

Roland JX-3P.
Purchased from my old boss 12 years ago. Cost me $40. It had a couple of missing keys which I replaced.
Four years ago, I scored a PG200 controller for it in exchange for mixing a song on a friends album.

Lexicon PCM41.
This was a Christmas present from a relative a few years ago.

All up, my analog synth collection has cost me less than $600 and is considerably less than either of my digital synths (Yamaha SY77 and DX7) cost me.

I also have a collection of DBX compressors and noise reduction units which cost me a grand total of $20. They were in a box of "junk" my ex employer (the same one who sold me the JX-3P) was "getting rid of". Also in that box of "junk" were two industrial helium-neon laser tubes which I turned into laser lightshows.