Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-20-2003, 12:39 PM

Default Re: what do you use to defrag your mac and/or fw d

just to make it clear as mud... one cause of fragmentation comes from deleting files, this is why it is good practice to initialized the drive. If you have time on your hands you can use the zero drive option.

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 11-20-2003, 01:28 PM

Default Re: what do you use to defrag your mac and/or fw drive

kind of on the same topic - I am planning to set up a dual boot with OSX. Can I merely copy OS9 and all my apps etc. from my system drive to drive 2, partition drive 1 into 2 partitions, one for OS9, one for OSX, install OSX, then copy my system drive files back from the secondary disk to the OS9 partition of the drive 1 and expect ny OS9 install (and all other OS9 apps that were copied) to function as before? Or must I reinstall OS9 after OSX and set up all my apps again?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 11-20-2003, 02:49 PM

You don't need to partition for the two OS's, they'll reside happily on the same drive and partition. afterall these are Macs, not PC's.

However if you do want to do the partition thing, you need a copying application like CopyAgent to copy the hidden files.
to back up a session, use the Save session copy in, enforce the Mac/PC compatibility (just to be safe) and if you are urning to disc, burn this, not the original session. this ensures you get all the audio files with the session.

deleting files does not remove all data from the drive. It does not erase the data from the drive. It simply removes the file allocations, so your HDD doesn't see it anymore. It causes fragementation, which is the creation of small unusable portions of your HDD.

You msut defrag by suing a defrag utility or reinitialize the drive.

Erase/ delete and reinitialize are not the same.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:20 PM

Thanks where, you always have good input - but my question arises from the digi document : Pro Tools 6 and Migration to OS X — Dual-Boot Systems
Using Pro Tools 6 for OS X and Pro Tools 5 for OS 9 on the same computer

where it says:"There are 3 ways to configure OS 9 along with OS X on the same computer:

1.Both OS 9 and OS X on the same drive on a single partition. This is the easiest method, and typically the way Apple Computers ships their OS 9 compatible computers.

2.Each OS on a separate partition of a single hard drive. This is a better way to go if you have only one internal hard drive. If each partition has a discrete OS (OS 9 on one partition and OS X on the second) then file sharing between the OS'es will be minimized.

3.Each OS on a separate hard drive. Installing OS 9 and OS X on separate hard drives is the safest way to allow OS 9 and OS X to co-exist on the same system. This method allows you to completely unmount or disconnect either hard drive when doing maintenance or OS updates.

So really my question was:
1. Can I then copy my system drive files back from the secondary disk to the OS9 partition of the drive 1 and expect ny OS9 install (and all other OS9 apps that were copied) to function as before? Or

2.Must I reinstall OS9 after OSX and set up all my apps again?

Or
3. Shpould I back up my current OS9 install with somethiong like Retrospect and restore to my new OS9 parttition and expect ny OS9 install (and all other OS9 apps that were copied) to function as before?

It was what you say about not being able to copy all hidden files that I was concerned about.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:38 PM

Bump
Old 11-21-2003, 09:39 AM

Default Re: what do you use to defrag your mac and/or fw drive

bump