Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Default Output window pull down menu

When adding a new buss in the output window button pull down menu in Pro Tools 10, why does the new track rename existing buss paths?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Output window pull down menu

Probably because the default I/O already has 128 busses and they figured you'd want to use them up first before making new ones?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:19 AM

Thank you... Alas I am not using all the busses... I am just wondering if this is pilot error or "The way it is suppose to be":))

Further clarification of the problem:

In the Edit window when you pull down the output I/O button (where you assign outputs or busses) there is a new option at the bottom of the pull down window - Track and New Track. When you select "New Track", a new track is added with an already configured input as well as it changes the output buss of the source track automatically to the correct routing to the input of the new track... Great for quick printing of a virtual synth. Problem is it seems to not add a new buss in the I/O, it renames an existing buss.

Cant find the answer anywhere of course, let alone ANY documentation of what this 'New Track is for......."

Last edited by gregtownley; 11-03-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:18 AM

Hmnn... when I use the "New Track" feature, it creates a new bus according to how I name the new destination track. It will appear at the bottom of the bus window in the I/O setup. I actually blow out the existing busses (except for template stuff) in new sessions for this reason. Easier to start from scratch this way and it looks way cleaner in the pulldown menus.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Thankx for trying... Yes I only use the template I/O matrix. But man o man I do not get that here.. Whatever buss is the next in line to the last buss that is assigned to output mapping. Even if I name a 'New" buss, gets renamed. Sorry but are you quite sure that none of your busses get renamed? If they are not being renamed on your end then there is something I am missing here, and I can not find any documentation..
Old 11-07-2014, 12:25 PM

To be sure, I blew out all internal busses from my I/O and reset to the default 128. I used the new track feature from a stereo audio track and my new bus was at the bottom of the I/O, and the number of active busses went up from 128 to 130. How many active busses do you have and what is the maximum reported on your system? Mine says something like "Active Busses: 128/256"
Old 11-13-2014, 07:59 AM

I performed the same test and then I noticed that the buss that was next in line after ones that are assigned to an output were deleted, or renamed and sent to the bottom of the list and in a blank default session my buss count stayed at 128....
Old 11-13-2014, 08:00 AM

I myself never use defaults. I delete extra i/o and busses, then create my own ones. Probably how the thing has been designed...?
Old 11-14-2014, 08:27 AM

I agree. However, it would be a quick way to print a track, having a new one made with preloaded ins and outs, adding a new buss without renaming and using an existing one.. In addition, just seems odd that I can not find any documentation about something that is in plain sight. Do you know where one might find what this is suppose to function as??
Old 11-18-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtownley View Post
When adding a new buss in the output window button pull down menu in Pro Tools 10, why does the new track rename existing buss paths?
I'm curious what version of Pro Tools 10 you're on? When this feature was first added, I had a lot of problems with it intermittently cannibalizing existing busses and stopped using it for that reason. It seems to be behaving itself in 11 and I've been using it regularly without incident. I'm afraid I never really spent the time to definitively track down under what conditions it would happen.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6