Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 10-16-2009, 01:05 AM

Default Re: How About Solid State?

Yea. I'm just strapped for cash for now. I am hearing that people are using SSDs in their workstation for video. I don't think using it for a DAW makes a difference, especially if it is just a boot drive.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Anyone try running there VI libraries off of a SSD?
Check the Eastwest forums, there are a few folks doing this over there. If your sample engine supports streaming from disk, this is the way to go. The latest batch of SSDs are pretty fast, 200MB/s write times or more, and 250MB/s read times or more, but even the older ones still had ridiculously fast seek times, which is what you need to stream samples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan
Some of us bleeding edge types have been running Pro Tools all in RAM and just use the HD/SSD as a mirror for any write requests. This pretty much eliminates Disk I/O altogether. The results are pretty stellar by the way.

Shane
I remember trying this with the RAM disk in OS9. Back then you couldn't do much though, I think my RAM disk was a whopping 384MB
Old 11-14-2009, 07:09 AM

I've been running PT sessions from my 16GB Express Card SSD from MTron (100 MB/s Read & Write) using my Laptop (X200 Tablet from Lenovo). I would usually start sessions on my desktop (P5K Quad Core, Three Drives), then save all of my VI samples to a folder WITHIN the PT session folder. I would then transfer the entire PT Session folder to my 16GB SSD on my laptop to mix on the go.

Let me tell you, PT sessions load in SECONDS. 32+ Tracks, lots of DVerbs, plugs, VIs and the likes w/o a hiccup, even with the buffer set to 128 or 64 samples. The MTron Express Card SSDs are extremely hard to find, but I got one off of eBay a few months back for $100. Filemate makes a 48GB one that supposedly gets 200 MB/s, but the reviews on New Egg aren't that great for the Mac (my Lenovo is obviously running Windows XP and the reviews for Windows are good).

Its an options. I can play 1.40 GB Piano samples in Kontakt 3.5 without a hiccup with polyphony set to 256. The sample itself loads in 4 seconds. AMAZING STUFF!
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 AM

Nice. I bought a 64gb ssd disk last week installing W7 64 bit + PT8. PT8 doesn't work yet on this platform, but it's startup time is impressive. Boot up time for W7 is also like night and day. Very fast.

I'v ordered a second ssd disk today (128gb). I will be installing xp and pt + plugins on that next week. I'll probably use the 64gb ssd disk as recording disk.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 AM

Ok, just a little SSD update:)

I got my second SSD disk yesterday (128GB). I installed Windows XP sp2 on it + PT8.0.1cs1.

Wow. This disk is fast. On the exact same machine, with the same os and programs but with ssd instead of sata, the windows xp boot up time is reduced from over 70 seconds on sata to 7 seconds with the ssd. Thats 10 times faster. PT8.0.1cs1 starts up within 5 to 8 seconds also. Firefox starts in a second.

SSD is still more expensive compared to sata disks, but the speed advantage you get is more than worth it.

Since I bought it 3 months ago I'v been feeling my core i7 setup wasnt as fast as it should be. Now I know why. SSD was missing.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:14 AM

I am SO psyched about working with SSDs, and this is just me working with that measly Express Card SSD that I'm running my sessions off of. I can only IMAGINE what someone using ALL SSDs throughout their system (system drive, audio, samples, etc) is like!!!!!

I am anxiously working longer hours to refit my laptop and desktop with all SSDs. Digi should work a little more with these and post some results/recommendation. These drives breathe a HEAP of NEW LIFE into PT systems, even if we ARE running a 10 year old 32 Bit OS (XP).
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 11-26-2009, 07:04 AM

W7 64bit was even faster on SSD, but unfortunately a no go with PT. I'm eagerly waiting for W7 64 bit drivers from Digidesign.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:28 PM

Just put an intel X-18-M SSD in my 27" i7 imac for a boot drive. Xbench scores in the 300's now. The computer boots in less than 10 seconds.

Life is good.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM

+1
Old 02-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Is anyone using a SSD as both a systems drive and a recording drive?

I was told that it isn't important to record to a separate drive if you're using SSD's because the original limitation was due to head scanning (which doesn't happen in SSD's). Since this is for my laptop rig, it'd be great to be able to stably record 16-tracks without requiring a second drive.

Any info, experience?

Thanks!