Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-30-2002, 10:04 PM

Default Grammy winning mixes?

Hey folks, I've been meaning to ask this for a while... How do I make my mixes win a Grammy? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just kidding...

Seriously, though... I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a list of Grammy winning mixes... (or just plain damned good mixes; I just figured the Grammy winning ones were a good place to start...) I'm trying to put together a good listening collection of great mixes spanning all genres (plural of genre? who knows... ) of music.

Is there a good reference or recommended listening list out there?

Thanks to all...

Best wishes,
Sean
Old 06-30-2002, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Grammy winning mixes?

"a list of Grammy winning mixes... (or just plain damned good mixes; I just figured the Grammy winning ones were a good place to start..."

-You ARE kidding, right? !!!
Old 06-30-2002, 11:01 PM

Mixes don't win Grammies.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Rathman:
I'm trying to put together a good listening collection of great mixes spanning all genres (plural of genre? who knows... ) of music.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">One CD comes to mind, appropos of ProTools. Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature." Won the Grammy a couple of years ago for Album of the Year, and was recorded and mixed entirely (I think) in ProTools. Engineered by Roger Nichols. A great sounding record.

Craig
Old 07-01-2002, 11:24 AM

Speerchucker...

No, in fact I'm not kidding... I'm looking for good references. Good recordings. Good things to listen to in all genres that I can compare. I'm looking for opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own...

I'm a jazzer, personally... I started recording as a utility to my own playing... Figured I could save a few bucks if I could put out my own demos. Over the years I became a "go-to" guy by accident. Now, I know how good jazz should sound, but what does a well recorded string quartet sound like? A 45-piece brass band? A three-piece power rock band? A Motown style band with horns? Rap? R&B? Cross-over country? Classic country?

I know how I think these ensembles should sound, but it would be awfully arrogant for me to think that I am always right... And the next time some young lady who wants me to make her sound like the next Shania Twain is standing in my booth, or the next time I have a band that wants to sound like Blink 182, I would like to be prepared.

If it offends you that I am attempting to broaden my horizons, please feel free to ignore my posts and not press Reply.

Craig (CPettigrew),

Thank you for the post... I don't own any Steely Dan; I look forward to listening to the album.

Sean
Old 07-01-2002, 02:00 PM

Roger Nichols has stated on his forum that the album was tracked at 16 bit and mixed on a Neve.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:11 PM

Elliott stated at a local AES dinner I attended (2 weeks ago) that the basics were tracked to 2", overdubs and edits were done in Pro Tools
1-603-867-6843
Old 07-01-2002, 05:04 PM

"If it offends you that I am attempting to broaden my horizons, please feel free to ignore my posts and not press Reply."

Hey, sean. I was just commenting on your equating Grammys with quality. SURELY you realize that one has nothing to do with the other?

As for your basic quest, Absolutely, I admire your attitude.

Here's a few killer sounding albums, ones I wish I had recorded myself:

Keb Mo: Self-titled first album

Shawn Colvin; "Fat City."

Loreena McKennitt: ANY of her records.
---

As for "Two Against Nature," I think it's BY FAR the worst sounding of all the Steely Dan albums. I have many engineer friends, all Steely Dan fans as I am, who agree.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:19 PM

Ray of Light - written and produced by William Orbit, with guest singer Madonna [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 05:31 PM

Not a AGrammy winner, but if you are looking for albums of all genre, than BT "Movement in Still Life" IMHO is one of the best mixed and programmed electronic albums.

Dan
OS 10.5.x Leopard
Protools LE 7.4
Mbox II