Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 AM

Default DSP explanation

We are just wondering we have Pro Tools HD 2. In the hardware page it says various stuff like 48 voices 6 DSPs. What does all this mean specifically. And why is it only saying 6 DSPs max as we are under the impression there are 9 per card.

I understand voices use DSPs but cant get the configuration to work very well currently as we seem to run out of power after about 10 plug ins.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Re: DSP explanation

You should look that up in the Pro Tools Reference Guide. Go to the index and look up Playback Engine > Number of Voices.

In general, you want to choose the lowest number of DSP chips for the track count needed. You should always leave your self some headroom in this area. So if I had 32 mono audio tracks, I would normally choose 48 voices (1 DSP). When you choose the higher DSP/voice counts when you don't need that many voices, you are wasting DSP chips to provide voices which are then unavailable for plug-in usage.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM

exactly. chips that are assigned to voices cannot be used for plugins.

If you are using 6 DSPs... that means 3 out of the 9 DSPs on each card are being reserved for voices. If you don't have a lot of tracks, then those assigned DSP chips are sitting idle and you run out of TDM processing power.

I normally leave mine at 96 voices 2 DSP. You can also use 48 1 DSP. But realize using a lot of RTAS plugins in your session can up the voice count (depending on how you arrange the plugins).

With 96 Voices, 2 DSP, it means that out of the 18 DSP chips you have, TWO will be assigned to managing voices, and the other 16 will be available for plugins.

I don't think this stuff is in the Ref guide. I think it is actually in the one of the PT HD setup guides. If you can't find it in the ref guide look for other PT HD specific PDF files. it might be the PTHD getting started guide or some other PT HD guide... but I know it's in one of them.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM

I use 4 DSP´s for 128 voices.
Perfect workflow.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneal92 View Post
In general, you want to choose the lowest number of DSP chips for the track count needed....
Except that allocating more DSP to track count allows for better PCI/disk bandwidth. Allocating the bare minimum DSP for a given track count can occasionally lead to aborted record/playback passes on high track count/high sample rate sessions, throwing disk not fast enough or fragmentation error messages. If one is in a record/playback critical situation with large sessions it is better to allocate the *maximum* number of DSP available for a given track count. That's why the option is there.

BTW, to the OP; if you're running out of DSP at 10 plugs there's something seriously wrong with the system.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex, OS 10.14, PT 2020 HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, Avid C24.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Except that allocating more DSP to track count allows for better PCI/disk bandwidth. Allocating the bare minimum DSP for a given track count can occasionally lead to aborted record/playback passes on high track count/high sample rate sessions, throwing disk not fast enough or fragmentation error messages. If one is in a record/playback critical situation with large sessions it is better to allocate the *maximum* number of DSP available for a given track count. That's why the option is there.
Which is why I said "generally". :) Obviously I know why you adjust the setting. I just didn't feel it was necessary to go into that detail in this situation.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music