Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 08-21-2001, 06:36 PM

Default Embedded Text in Red Book CD\'s?

A client of mine swears that text (such as track titles) can be encoded in audio CDs and read by certain CD players and CD-ROM drives-
Does anyone know how this is done?
Does Red Book support embedded text. or must it be some mixed mode CD?
Does anyone know any software that will do this?
Thanks!
JG
Old 08-21-2001, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Embedded Text in Red Book CD\'s?

in Jam open up the ISRC panel. It will embedd text into your final master.

Regards

e

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: editor ]
Old 08-22-2001, 03:02 PM

Well here's an interesting one.

I just got a call from a client whose album I mastered last week. She gets home with the CD, pops it into her computer and it shows up on the desktop (Mac) labeled "Too Hot for Puppy." The audio tracks are also labeled strange names (not song titles) like "Friend" "Hate" and HotShot."

What is that??

I looked at the archive copy that I have here. It shows up on the desktop as Audio CD 1 and the tracks are "Track 1" "Track 2" and so on.

How did that happen? I told her that I have no idea how it could have happened and sent her the "clean" copy that I have.

How could that happen in MLCD 2.3?

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Music Mixing and Mastering
On a scenic hilltop outside of historic
Franklin, Tennessee http://www.3daudioinc.com
email:go3daudio@aol.com
Old 08-23-2001, 08:11 AM
Avid

quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Fuston:
She gets home with the CD, pops it into her computer and it shows up on the desktop (Mac) labeled "Too Hot for Puppy."

What is that??

-It is possible that the problem is specific to her system. Have her rebuild the Desktop file.

-In addition, insert the CD in your (or any another) Mac and see how it labeled when mounted on the Desktop.

Brent
Old 08-23-2001, 07:19 PM

Sadder but wiser:

The buzzword is CD Text- a variation of Red Book that has embedded text encoded onto the disk, similar to MP3 files. It appears only to be implemented for Windows right now.

If anybody knows of any Mac OS products that can author CD Text, please let me know, I can't find any.

E- As far as I can tell, Jam can only accept text in the ISRC field that resembles an ISRC Code in format- a bit of a limitation.

Ms Fuston- The Mac Audio CD player emulator maintains a database of titles for CD's to which it has been "introduced", and presumably has some way of recognizing the CD's later (probably a unique code such as ISRC) It would appear that the Mac has mistaken your client's master for another CD- hence the spurious titles- I would try the tech guys recommendations.

Cheers, all
Old 08-24-2001, 04:31 AM

emagic Waveburner can do CD Text AFAIK.
I´d really like that feature in Masterlist, too.

Peter
Old 08-24-2001, 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:

-It is possible that the problem is specific to her system. Have her rebuild the Desktop file.

-In addition, insert the CD in your (or any another) Mac and see how it labeled when mounted on the Desktop.

Brent

Another identical CD that I burned for her at the same time from the exact same files shows up on the desktop as "Audio CD", with titles labeled "Track 1, Track 2," and so forth. So it seems unlikely that the the first explanation is correct. I am at a loss why there could be any difference between these two discs. I have tried other CDs that I have burned here and none of them exhibit this characteristic-random naming.

She is sending the CD back to me for me to verify what she is seeing. I am curious to find out if it does the same on my computer.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc
Old 08-24-2001, 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Gordon:
Ms Fuston- The Mac Audio CD player emulator maintains a database of titles for CD's to which it has been "introduced", and presumably has some way of recognizing the CD's later (probably a unique code such as ISRC) It would appear that the Mac has mistaken your client's master for another CD- hence the spurious titles- I would try the tech guys recommendations.

Cheers, all

I wondered about that as well, but it doesn't explain why another identical (presumed identical) CD would NOT show those names. She even went in to her Apple CD Player and changed the song titles, but when she made a CD copy, the original titles came back on the copy. Which is natural since there was no way for her to modify the original CD data.

I will tell you what I find when I get the CD back.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc