Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2018, 02:22 PM

Default I'm Sick and tired of being sick and tired! (issues with PT12)

I know most of you think I'm just an old fool that can't learn but I don't really care any more! To me PT's 12 has been turned in to a puzzle and only the ones who have a background in professional recording are able to navigate it's
complicated and tricky parameters! I had some trouble initially with Pt's 9.6 but was able to work it out and, short of saying I mastered it, I was able to do some pretty good sounding sessions! I have nothing good to say for 12!
Example. I've been working on the same session now for 3 months! It's a simple country rock song. Nothing I can't easily handle as a musician. Here's
what started happening today when I started to do a mix of the tracks!
I'm hearing me talking in the background on the lead guitar track! I don't talk while I'm playing so how can that happen? There are other issues. I turned all tracks except the lead guitar off and made them all inoperative, still hearing my voice talking,( not singing) and artifacts of other tracks! Also I had added a delay effect on part of the lead guitar but I put that on a separate track. When I play the session back the effect is on all of the lead guitar! Both tracks. enough is enough! I'm not asking for help! this is beyond help! Thanks.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Default Re: I'm Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

I can take a look if you are willing to post your a few seconds of your session with audio files, I'm sure there is something simple you are missing because it has happened to me before.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:40 PM

Probably something in pre fader mode....
Old 02-08-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I know most of you think I'm just an old fool that can't learn but I don't really care any more! To me PT's 12 has been turned in to a puzzle and only the ones who have a background in professional recording are able to navigate it's
complicated and tricky parameters! I had some trouble initially with Pt's 9.6 but was able to work it out and, short of saying I mastered it, I was able to do some pretty good sounding sessions! I have nothing good to say for 12!
Example. I've been working on the same session now for 3 months! It's a simple country rock song. Nothing I can't easily handle as a musician. Here's
what started happening today when I started to do a mix of the tracks!
I'm hearing me talking in the background on the lead guitar track! I don't talk while I'm playing so how can that happen? There are other issues. I turned all tracks except the lead guitar off and made them all inoperative, still hearing my voice talking,( not singing) and artifacts of other tracks! Also I had added a delay effect on part of the lead guitar but I put that on a separate track. When I play the session back the effect is on all of the lead guitar! Both tracks. enough is enough! I'm not asking for help! this is beyond help! Thanks.
Hi i undestand terry ! Sad to hear that !

But something more is happening there . I've never seen that at least on my system , never . It's hard to tell not being there and taking your words that you dont have any track hidden etc on the other post it puzzles me :-/ !

Can you post some screenshots of the acutal edit window session and mix window of the actual session ? Maybe seeing we can help better .
Old 02-09-2018, 05:17 AM

Thanks guys. I have had time to think about this problem and here is what I suspect may be wrong. My interface is the Focusrite 2i4, 2nd generation. As any of you know that use this I/O it is equipped with the 0 latency knob which enables the user to monitor the input only while recording. The knob should be in the counter clockwise position. If I am correct the user is supposed to turn the knob to the full clockwise position for playback. When I used the first generation 2i4 I just left the knob straight up or mid way between record and playback. I never experienced this problem and since this is the first session I've done with the new I/O I suspect that the issue lies with misuse of the 0 latency knob (?). Either/or I left the large voume knob on while monitoring with headphones and didn't notice my mistake, (open mic while recording! (?).
I am going to audition each track independently today to see if all or just some show the problem. Hopefully I will discover that the problem is me and not Pro Tools 12. Sorry about screen shots. I never learned how to do that.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:32 AM

Default Re: I'm Sick and tired of being sick and tired! (issues with PT12)

Hey Terry, definitely sounds like user error to me. Don't worry, just keep on chugging along. I've used PT since version 6 I think, and PT12 is definitely the best it's ever been.

I've been frustrated like you before, so I understand. However, 99% of the time, in the end I find my probem is user error. ;-)
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 10-11-2020, 10:11 PM

Default Re: I'm Sick and tired of being sick and tired! (issues with PT12)

It doesn't get any better with PT 2020