Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Black Lion Mod ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
FYI an external clock is needed ONLY when you are using more than one piece of digital audio gear interconnected with each other. If the only thing in your studio is a 003, upgrading its clock is irrelevant and a waste of money.
It affects your A/D, so it's not a waste of money. How do you think jitter is introduced into the audio?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I mean that modding an internal clock of a unit is a waste when it is the only digital unit in your studio. Its not talking to anything else digitally so whats the point.
First Full Disclosure : I am a musician singer songwriter not an audio or electrical engineer . With that in mind please excuse my hundred questions, I am not attempting to badger ................... So the only other piece of digital gear I have besides an 002 console and Rosetta 200 AD/DC is a midi keyboard controller .. but be that as it may in just the 002 or 003 Would not a better more accurate internal clock make the digital signal more stable and more accurate ? resulting in better sound particularly with higher quality and improved converters ??
Old 06-16-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Would someone have to be a victim of fraud to report fraud?

If it quacks like a duck...
Peppertree, I was enjoying your posting on the HD thread about LE vs. HD but then I realized that you lack substantial evidence and your words, at times, rife with hyperbole. It is beginning o be unhelpful, the very antithesis of the DUC's purpose.

You do, in fact, need to have proof that fraud has taken place before you can claim someone has defrauded you.

As I said to someone a while ago concerning this same issue on DUC, if you have a problem with BLA, go to the BBB about it.

I for one have heard a difference between my stock 002r and the BLA 002r, as have many others. And it's not something you can achieve using the Digi EQIII, sorry.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k roche View Post
first full disclosure : I am a musician singer songwriter not an audio or electrical engineer . With that in mind please excuse my hundred questions, i am not attempting to badger ................... So the only other piece of digital gear i have besides an 002 console and rosetta 200 ad/dc is a midi keyboard controller .. But be that as it may in just the 002 or 003 would not a better more accurate internal clock make the digital signal more stable and more accurate ? Resulting in better sound particularly with higher quality and improved converters ??
yes!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
First Full Disclosure : I am a musician singer songwriter not an audio or electrical engineer . With that in mind please excuse my hundred questions, I am not attempting to badger ................... So the only other piece of digital gear I have besides an 002 console and Rosetta 200 AD/DC is a midi keyboard controller .. but be that as it may in just the 002 or 003 Would not a better more accurate internal clock make the digital signal more stable and more accurate ? resulting in better sound particularly with higher quality and improved converters ??
There is a "debate" about the difference an external clock makes.

In your case, the Rosetta will be the master clock anyway, so the internal clock (003/002) would not affect your 003/002 converters anyway, unless you turn the Rosetta off.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Expensive View Post
It affects your A/D, so it's not a waste of money. How do you think jitter is introduced into the audio?
Oh boy, here we go. Technically you are right, but what I'm saying is that a clock upgrade will truly shine when you are using multiple digital audio units that need to talk to each other. We can go back and forth about jitter and the scientifically measurable ways it exists, but the most important thing about the modifications to the 003 that result in clearly audible performance gains are the actual converters, not the clock.

Last edited by ajv205; 06-16-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: had an extra quote in there by mistake
Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Oh boy, here we go. Technically you are right, but what I'm saying is that a clock upgrade will truly shine when you are using multiple digital audio units that need to talk to each other. We can go back and forth about jitter and the scientifically measurable ways it exists, but the most important thing about the modifications to the 003 that result in clearly audible performance gains are the actual converters, not the clock.
The clock and converters are all part of the picture when bringing analogue sound and converting it to digital.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Expensive View Post
The clock and converters are all part of the picture when bringing analogue sound and converting it to digital.
I understand. But if you could only do one thing to improve the sound of a A/D converter unit, would you choose to mod the clock or mod the A/D circuit?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 AM

Sigh.

External sync will never improve the timing accuracy of a converter. I.e. you cannot find an external clock that will improve the jitter performance of your converters.

Period!

Apogee engaged in this external crock fraud for years until finally being called out onto the mat and they finally caved in and admitted their clocks were actually increasing jitter in the converters syncing to them. But they tried to cover themselves by claiming their jitter made things sound better!

What's going on with all of this (esoteric cables, $700 power cords, wenge discs, etc.) is called cognitive dissonance. When you've spent a lot of money on something you can't get back, it is excruciatingly hard to confront yourself with the reality that you have wasted your money. Instead you seek confirmation in groups of similar victims, and eventually the recruitment of more victims. This is how $cientology works for instance. It's just a quirk of our psyches that has even been demonstrated in macaques.

A few inches of adjustment of your mic placement will have a vastly greater sonic effect than any clock or mod has a chance of.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
There is a "debate" about the difference an external clock makes.

In your case, the Rosetta will be the master clock anyway, so the internal clock (003/002) would not affect your 003/002 converters anyway, unless you turn the Rosetta off.
OH boy I did not mean to open up a can of worms OK I have read much on "The Debate about external clocking " as I said yes there is a debate so lets put aside that for the moment and forget about my rosetta for clarity. So the question still remains would then the BL mod be an improvement . And lets say. I am the only person that can decide if its' actually worth it to me .. Thanks