Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-22-2015, 09:23 PM

Default Midname Files Not Loading

I am running 12HD on OSX 10.10.

I can send program changes to my devices (mostly Lexicon reverbs), but the Midname files will not open, so everything is just by generic number, not patch name.

Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2015, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Midname Files Not Loading

Loading of midnam files got broken in version of PT11 just prior to Yosemite support for OSX. The only workaround people have suggested is to install an older version of PT when it wasn't broken and then continue to upgrade.

On Mac this is hampered by needing to go back to Mavericks as well.

This bug and the fact that the core audio driver for HD Native hangs when using Native Instruments are preventing me from upgrading (spending money) to PT12.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:17 AM

Hi,

I'm using some Native Instruments products without issue. I have Komplete 9 and don't have any issues. I updated everything to the latest version using the download portion of the website.

When I tried to update through the Service Center things wouldn't work and I was having the issues you describe. If you go to this page:

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...-pro-tools-11/

Then in a new tab open this page:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...loads/updates/

Then login and search for the supported installers.

Those worked for me. I hope this helps!

As for the midname issue I received the following response - so it's good to know they're aware and working on it.

Once there is an update I'll add it to the thread so everyone is in the know.

----

Hi Noah,

There is an issue with Pro Tools 12, AMS, and midnam files. We are aware of the issue and hoping to resolve it in an upcoming release. I don't have a specific release version or a date certain when it will be resolved but I know we are working to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately there is no workaround at this time. Thanks for your patience with this issue.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:26 PM

On the Mac, MIDI Patch Lists have been broken for over two years with the release of PT11. It appears to be a matter of priorities.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
On the Mac, MIDI Patch Lists have been broken for over two years with the release of PT11. It appears to be a matter of priorities.
The most reliable workaround is to co-install Pro Tools 10 and set up midinam files in that version of Pro Tools. Then, so long as you don't try to alter any midinam settings using a later version of Pro Tools, midinams work in Pro Tools 11 (and I guess 12 too).

But of course installing PT10 causes other issues for people on Yosemite.

There is a pre-existing very comprehensive thread on this in the Pro Tools 11 section of this forum.
Pro Tools 2020.3, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10.5, Wavelab Pro 10, Logic Pro X 10.4.8, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 04-23-2015, 05:33 PM

"..so it's good to know they're aware and working on it."...
Not to hard it seams...
The workaround mentioned above is real and works but!

This really should not be a user issue at this point in my opinion. The MIDI DATA was almost better in OPCODE Vision.....(20years ago) External devices / names. Hire MOTU to do this. They have a database nicely up to date in OS and CoreMIDI

And while your at it for your own Sibelius integration. Include Music XML in and output.
I'm still Pro Tools but I do look and try others. I have to imagine most are just getting tired of it. (The little infrastructures left undone)