Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Default Pro Tools 9 HD won't recognize my 192 interface

Greetings,
So I upgraded to PT 9 HD about six months ago. I use 2 Apogee Rosetta 800's as my main interfaces. For HD, I bought 2 used X-HD cards for the Rosetta's. They sort of worked, but I had flaky-ness. Sometimes they would lose the connection to HD. So I tried to upgrade the firmware, a process dating back to the middle ages, where you plug a midi cable into the X-HD card and send a midi data dump. Worked on the 1st card, but wouldn't take on the 2nd, so now I only have 8 channels of I/O, since the unit with the old firmware no longer plays nicely with the 1st unit. Apogee wants $225 just to fix the card, which is only worth about $175, so I thought I'd buy a used 192 with a couple of digital I/O cards. Then I could use the ADAT optical on the Rosetta's, which is tried and true, sell the X-HD cards, and also have room for some expansion I/O on the 192. And I work almost exclusively in 44.1 or 48.

Got a tested 192, with a warranty, with 2 digital cards pre-installed. The seller even tested the unit with Pro Tools 9 for me, not sure how thoroughly. I plug the Digilink cable from the Core card into the 192 primary port. (This same Digilink connection works fine with my Apogee X-HD). When I turn on the 192 the light is orange, but then turns green when the Mac Pro is turned on. The sample rate and clock source lights go solid. But when I try to load Pro Tools I get the "no interface found" message. I can't load with the "HD TDM" setting from the Playback Engine. I'm forced to quit Pro Tools. This happens whether or not I have the Rosettas connected via the ADAT optical on the 2 digital cards, or even off the optical I/O on the main192 section.

I ran Digitest with the 192 connected (w/out the Apogees) and everything passed, and it saw the 16 channels of I/O. I also double-checked that I have the B > A connection set properly between the Core and Accel cards. I also tried loading the system with my old 888|24 connected to the Legacy port. Nothing has worked so far. I'm on Mountain Lion, which has been working just fine, but tried under Snow Leopard just to check, and still no luck.

Sorry for the long-winded email, just trying to give all the info. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks - Steve
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 HD won't recognize my 192 interface

try running DigiTest to see if it sees the 192
maybe try holding the N key down when launching Pro Tools ast checking the Playback Engine
toss the prefs

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM

Thanks. I've tried trashing Preferences. No go. As I mentioned in my long-winded first post, Digitest sees 192, sees the 16 channels of I/O on the two digital cards, and even sees that it has firmware v3.0. And everything passes all the tests. But when I try to load Pro Tools, I get "no pro tools interface found"...
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM

FW 3.0 sounds old for the 192.
Will it take a firmware update?

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 PM

If new firmware doesn't fix this....

Have you tried a different digilink cable? Assuming the 192 is good, that would explain why you are having problems with 3 different interfaces. It's also possible that the card could be bad. Digitest *should* tell you this, but with the older MIX rigs, I've seen cards that act flakey but pass digitest fine.... so I'm guessing it could also be possible with HD.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-09-2013, 10:35 PM

If all else fails you can send the 192 over here for service
If it's in anyway a hardware issue I can fix it for you

You can also drop me email to go into more depth about the problem your having

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 AM

Back again a week or so later. Aaahhh, and the plot thickens...!

So, the seller of the 192 has continued to be super cool - paid the shipping to return the first one, and shipped me a second before I'd even shipped the first one back. Hasn't even charged me for the 2nd on yet! High class dude...

I got the new 192 a couple of days ago, same config, just the 2 digital cards in slots 3&4, which I believe is where they are supposed to go in the regular 192. Shut down the computer, plugged the main Digilink cable from the Core card into the Primary port on the 192. Booted up. Same exact issue. No Interface Found. Again, this is PT 9 HD which works flawlessly with my Apogee X-HD cards. I am installed under both Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard, and I get the same result under both. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pro Tools on Snow Leopard. No go.

So we can be pretty sure it's not the interface. I wouldn't get two that happened to get jostled in shipping the exact same way.

DigiTest sees this interface just as it did the last one, and everything passes. This time it sees the firmware as 4.9, which I gather is the last rev for the 2nd generation of 192's. Last time it saw 3.0, which was for the 1st generation of 192's. Or so I read...

I went ahead and replaced my 2nd messed up X-HD card so I'm back up and running with 16 channels of I/O again, which is what prompted me wanting to get the 192 in the first place. But at this point I just kind of want to solve the mystery. I mean - this is a tried and true Avid interface running on Avid software that it's designed to work with! It should be a no brainer. Really weird...

Any new tips of thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 PM

You are connecting to the Primary port on the 192?

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Yes, connected to the Primary port on the 192. I may be wrong, but I think I've checked all the obvious stupid things I might be doing. Definitely connected to the Core card. Double-checked that the B port on the Core card is connected to the A port on the Accel card with the ribbon cable. Stuff like that. My 2 Apogee Rosetta 800s w/ X-HD cards work like a charm on the same Digilink cable that I'm trying with the 192...
Old 11-16-2013, 06:39 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 192's not be recognized. Digi test days all is good. Firmware though is only 3.0, where do I DL a newer firmware for interface. Also just talked with a guy about this. My 192's , I have 2X AD on the top row which is row 1&3 and the DA in slot 2. Apparently he says slot 1- AD, slot 2 DA
slot 3 digital card, slot 4 option for an extra A/D or D/A card. He says that might be the reason it's not being recognized. I haven't tried it yet, but am going to tomorrow. I'll let you no if its the problem. If you get to before me, please let me no. I've been dealing with this for weeks.