Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Default Pro Tools file linking/importing issue.

Hello all,

I've read a few posts about this, but none seem to give any answers about how to solve this.

Whenever I open a session that has files that I have imported from another drive, for instance, a kick sample, it never finds those files and links them unless I have that drive mounted. This means that the files are not being copied into the Audio Files folder. I have the option 'Automatically Copy Files on Import' checked in preferences, but it is still doing it. Also, all of the allocation is correct, which is rather confusing. This is a HUGE problem, as sometimes I take sessions to other studios and clients and without the original location of the file available, Pro Tools refuses to find said file.

This has never happened to me before in any other version.

Does anybody know what's going on here or how to solve it? This is a huge issue and causes a lot of problems.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools file linking/importing issue.

Nobody? Thanks Avid.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Try toggling that Automatically Import option to ensure that it is actually set rather than just being displayed that way.

Aside from that it's the rather less intuitive: when moving to another room use the Project Browser to Copy and Relink any files that aren't in the correct directory. You can sort by File Path which should ease some of the burden.

Sorry I can't be more help but as it's been a day and none else has chimed in figure my 2c might be what you needed?

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 04-07-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, it's still not importing into the Audio Files folder. What a horrible flaw. I've never experienced this before. So inconvenient. I really hope they fix this.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:17 PM

Default Pro Tools file linking/importing issue.

Hello all,

I tried posting this in another forum, but got little in the way of replies and help. Maybe this is a better place for this post.

I've read a few posts about this, but none seem to give any answers about how to solve this.

Whenever I open a session that has files that I have imported from another drive, for instance, a kick sample, it never finds those files and links them unless I have that drive mounted. This means that the files are not being copied into the Audio Files folder. I have the option 'Automatically Copy Files on Import' checked in preferences, but it is still doing it. Also, all of the allocation is correct, which is rather confusing. This is a HUGE problem, as sometimes I take sessions to other studios and clients and without the original location of the file available, Pro Tools refuses to find said file.

This has never happened to me before in any other version.

Does anybody know what's going on here or how to solve it? This is a huge issue and causes a lot of problems.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM

I had this problem on a session, and my "work around" was to apply a "zero effect" Audio Suite plug-in. I just put the Normalize plug-in on, without changing values, and the Normalized file then appeared in my Audio folder.
I hope that helps
Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM

The thing is, we shouldn't have to do this. We never had to do anything like this before. Before, when you imported a file, sample etc, from another drive, it would put it into the Audio Files folder. Now it keeps it in its original location and always looks for it there when opening the session. This is a huge inconvenience because it means that it adds a whole other step. It means that when I import a file or sample into a session, I'll have to import it manually again into the Audio Files folder.

Is this just how Pro Tools 10 works now or is this a bug? Can ANYONE from Avid chime in here? We are the ones who buy your products. The least you can do is provide maybe just a small ounce of customer support.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Just wondering if you changed the name of the external drive, I've heard of that happening.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 PM

Try this: http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...pro-tools.html
Old 04-08-2012, 05:22 PM

Just tested this myself. I have some questions:

1/ Are you using the workspace/drag and drop/Import Audio to import?
2/ When adding audio via Import Audio (assuming it's uncompressed) PT will allow you to override your preference for copy on import and defaults to the Add option; are you sure that you are selecting copy at this point?

From my tests:

Drag and Drop - copies Files √
Drag and Drop from Workspace - Copies files √
Import Audio - User error caused Add instead of copy X
Import Audio (retry) - Copied files √

All with Automatically Copy Files checked.

Hope this helps and maybe we can track down where failure is occurring, I think that if you have the option checked that the Copy option should become default in the Import Audio dialog for the record, maybe its an ideascale topic…
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor