Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-1999, 08:00 PM

Default Re: 64 channels on a ProControl

I use a 32 fader system for dance mixing and it cooks!. I use up to 64 tracks and plenty of stereo aux returns. I haven't used this very cool Memory system in this way yet but the jump buttons do very nicely. Just don't get your figers chopped off! LOL.

I love my system. Used it to mix and master Marina's latest CD. Check out the results with a free MP3 download at www.mrkrecords.com

------------------
Old 12-02-1999, 08:07 PM

We use the 888/24. I am sure the 8000 is better. Our budget was just crammed and we had to get the 888. I plan to get an 8K later. We rented one recently to dump tracks from a 48dig Sony to PT for a client. We ran the 8K, 888 and ADAT bridge. Honestly I don't think anyone would know which were which. If s, then why did the eng chose to do it with all 3 instead of the 8K for all. All tracks sounded fine.

George
Classic Recording Franklin, (Nashville), TN
www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 12-02-1999, 08:22 PM

Sorry I forgot your question about pre's...We just bought 2 737's also. They are wonderful. We have also used the Vintech Neve 1272 which is fine. I do keyboard orchestration a lot and I just use a Mackie 1202vlz for mixing several modules together. Line levels in to stereo XLR out to 888 in. Works great. Probably a better way, but it works for what we do.

George
Classic
www.classicrecording.com
Old 12-02-1999, 08:47 PM

Hi George,

Yeah, I think those Avalon's are complete winners. In your opinion, when using modules and samplers etc..., is it better to go directly into a 888/24 or an Apogee or use Digidesign's 1622? Couldn't they have made it 24 bit or does it matter?

Thanks
Old 12-03-1999, 02:45 AM

Hi Mini,

I've got 2 888/24s and a 1622. The 1622 is much better for synths, samplers, etc. You can individually adjust each of the 16 channels input volume, whereas the level just isn't high enough on some modules when going direct into an 888/24 without going through a pre-amp first.

20bit as opposed to 24bit makes absolutely no difference for synths/modules. Nearly all synths/modules are only 16bit to start with. Add the heavy compression, and most synths don't have a dynamic variation of more than about 12bit. 20bit is therefore already overkill for synths/modules and even high quality samplers.

Regards,

Greg
Old 12-03-1999, 05:00 AM

George,
With respect,no ones going to hear a difference between 888/24's & AD8000's in a DIGITAL transfer! Theres no conversion being done! A real test would be on an A/D task....
Jules
Old 12-03-1999, 08:08 AM

Julian:

I agree. In this case, we were transferring analog from the 3348. We did not have the proper cables etc. to get a dig transfer. I did not make that clear in my post.

I am sure there was some difference, but we did not take pains to analyze it and just transferring we did not hear anything that stuck out. This was a major label Christian artist and the engieer is VERY picky and it was his idea to do it that way. He was happy.

George
Classic, Franklin, TN
www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 12-03-1999, 10:27 AM

I appreciate all the help folks...

For anyone who has the complete Protools/24 Mix-Plus system, how many Mix core and Mix farm cards would you need for a complete 64 track mix?

Thanks...
Old 12-03-1999, 11:30 AM

We have a mix core and 2 mix farms. Would like another farm but have been doing OK. I think the most we have mixed is around 50 with 4-5 Aux returns and a Master Fader. It only gets wierd with lots of plugs-in and especially Waves stuff happening. I try to keep my plug-ins to a mimimum. Don't put EQ or Dynamics on tracks you don't need it. If it is really full I use a lot of Digirack EQ's instead of Waves or Focusrite. That seems to help.

Since we got the 480L reverb it has helped with having the two verbs from it instead of 2 plugin verbs which take either 1/2 or a full chip.

We just installed 5.0 and Waves 2.8 and OS9. So now with different memory situations it will be interesting to see how it acts. I do need to install more memory in our 9600/300. We are operating on 192meg now. Probably will put in another 64meg soon.

George
Classic Recording, Franklin, TN
www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 12-05-1999, 02:01 AM

Theazone,
Great idea (the best are usually simplest)!
I'll try it today!
Branko