Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Cheaper Alternatives to Decapiator

Are there any cheaper distortion plugins comparable to Decapiator? It seems to have set the bar from what I've read. I also demoed it and thought it worked well in some situations. I don't know if I was using it improperly, didn't have enough time to mess with it, or just felt like it was something I could do without. I plan on demoing Trash 2 this weekend; it's a bit more in my price range. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Cheaper Alternatives to Decapiator

Klanghelm has IVGA, which is free, and SDRR, which is very inexpensive. There are others, but that's a good starting point. Hornet has a couple of plugins with distortion capability. Voxengo has a freebie VST, (Varisaturator, something like that) but I don't think it's available in AAX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Are there any cheaper distortion plugins comparable to Decapiator? It seems to have set the bar from what I've read. I also demoed it and thought it worked well in some situations. I don't know if I was using it improperly, didn't have enough time to mess with it, or just felt like it was something I could do without. I plan on demoing Trash 2 this weekend; it's a bit more in my price range. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:48 AM

If you really want the sound of Decapitator, you may have to actually spring for it. To me, it has a very distinctive sound.
If you are just looking for a general distortion plug-in, there are many, including those noted above.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM

I have Anthology X. Basically, they do plugin sales now and again. If you buy some when they're cheap the upgrade deals at holiday time are very, very affordable.

Decapitator is awesome. I don't know what else does what it does.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 01-31-2019, 11:15 AM

Hi,

Audio Assault Head Crusher is a good cheaper alternative.

Have you looked at PIA Vertigo VSM-3 (But when there's a sale on)

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:21 PM

+1 for Head Crusher..even the old free version was great

The other best cheapest alternative to Decapitator is Decapitator when Soundtoys goes on sale.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Trash 2 is a completely different animal then Decapitator. They each have different uses and it depends on exactly what you are looking for. Strictly speaking Decapitator isn't a distortion plugin but saturation. It can come close to distortion but not in the realm of what Trash 2 can do. Trash 2 is more flexible but you have to work with it to get the best out of it. Plus it has a lot more controls to much with than Decapitator.

Again - what do you really want to do? If saturation then Decapitator is your friend. If distortion then Trash 2 by all means. There is a huge difference between those two terms.

QAPLA!
Old 01-31-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
+1 for Head Crusher..even the old free version was great

The other best cheapest alternative to Decapitator is Decapitator when Soundtoys goes on sale.
Yeah on the latter. Get one of the Soundtoys plugins on sale or freebie (they do happen from time to time) and that gets you entree into the Soundtoys ecosystem and cheap prices on the whole bundle. It's how a lot of us got into their plugins.

QAPLA!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 PM

Default Cheaper Alternatives to Decapiator

As dean Richard stated, SDRR is worth checking out at about $25 US. I got a free version of it through some purchase or Focusrite plugin collective, can’t quite remember.

Decapitator is definitely king of the hill and agree, distinctive and unique.