Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 07-15-2015, 09:42 PM

Default Avid Duet success stories?

I see several issues reported regarding the Avid branded Duet. I'm considering the purchase but I'd like to know if there have been some positive reports.

I'm on an Intel Core i5 Macbook Pro running OS 10.7.5

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Avid Duet success stories?

If you're going to be running a Mac, I don't think there's any advantage using the Avid branded version. AFAIK the main advantage of the Avid version are Windows drivers.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 07-18-2015, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Avid Duet success stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
If you're going to be running a Mac, I don't think there's any advantage using the Avid branded version. AFAIK the main advantage of the Avid version are Windows drivers.

Joel
+1

Sure the Avid Duets/Quartets look pretty cool and they come with PT software for 1 year incl. updates but even if I hate to say it,
I think you will experience a more trouble free time on getting the Apogee Duet and buying an annual subscription for PT12.
Especially if you are on Mac there´s no need to take the risk with those not really well working Avid drivers/software for the Duet/Quartet.
On Mac Maestro does a pretty good job and the Apogee Duet will run with all the latest versions of Mac OSX and Pro Tools perfectly well.

I myself had one 2012 Non-Retina MacBook Pro i5 2,5GHz with the Apogee Duet and it was great.
The friend of mine who I sold this combination to this spring still is very happy and experiencing no troubles at all.
But -important- if you decide to run PT11/12 on your i5 MBP you need to use Mac OS Yosemite, NOT Mavericks or any prior OSX.
With Mavericks PT11 did not work on this i5 MBP (others i5 users confirmed this processor related issue as well), got stuck, a lot of errors,
however the exact configuration started working again with the OS upgrade to Mac Yosemite - flawlessly.
My friend now uses the i5 MBP with Yosemite 10.10.4, Pro Tools 12.1 and the Apogee Duet successfully without any problems.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Duet2iOS
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTSubAnn
Will be $948.- all together.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTDuet
$1099.-

The left money I would recommend to use to get an extra high class USB cable because with the original one sometimes me had to plug
in/out the unit to get connected correctly. Not always but from time to time and when I replaced the original cable with a better one the
connection never failed again. Got something like this.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/AudioQuest/FORESTUSB/

Whichever route you decide to go finally, the best of success to you, VRW