Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2008, 12:43 PM

Default Cannot use disk device as \"playback\" device Pro-tools 7.4Mac

Hi,

I'm using a rack 003 on a mac with pro-tools 7.4-latest update with 2 external firewire disks.

I've been using a fire wire disk with the volume "protools data" without issue for a good few months on it, I've got a few tracks/demos/ideas recorded on it, great.

Today I wanted to add something to one of the tracks, when I tried to open one of the pro-tools tracks I get the error message

" This session is saved on a volume set to transfer only. If permitted, set the volumes in question P (playback) or R (record) in this workspace "

What has happened to set this volume to a different state than it was in when it's been working fine for a few months as a recording and play back device ?

What is the correct mode to set this disk back to (I assume record) and how do I go about setting it ??

Quite confused with this issue out the blue.

thanks,

Matt.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Cannot use disk device as \"playback\" device Pro-tools 7.

Read this thread:

"Session must be on an Audio record volume" - Workspace info
Old 06-19-2008, 05:46 PM

some times the T/R/P settings switch for some unapparent reason
now if you can not change it back you may have a problem

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-20-2008, 12:56 AM

All sorted,

thank you very much for that.

Great info.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 AM

I just got myself through a similar situation this morning on my new computer, new external firewire drive and new PTLE version. In my case, I could not write to the external firwire drive...on which I had been reading and writing without incidence for the past several days...since I setup the new system.

A trip to the Workspace page showed that the drive in question had suddenly read-only enabled itself somehow, but I could not simply bump it up to Write operation...the change wouldn't stick.

Next stop was Disk utility where I saw that there too, the disk was only read-enabled...and locked.

Final stop, selecting the firewire drive icon on my desktop and doing a command-I to see, among other things, ownership and permissions in the Information dialog box. Once there, I could not unlock the drive (by pressing the padlock icon at the lower right-hand corner of that dialog box and entering an administrator password...the padlock icon was grayed-out and not available to me) nor could I change the permissions or its Read-Only status.

The next course of action was to eject the Firewire drive and power it down...except that I didn't seem to have the permissions to even eject it. So I just powered the whole system down...including the firewire drive....and then powered it all up again. Once up, the firewire drive mounted and I verified that I still could not change the read-write status in th Pro Tools Workspace. But I then did the Command-I information thing again for the firewire drive...and saw that I could now press on the padlock and unlock it...and make it a Read-Write drive, for myself and for anyone else.

Back to Pro Tools and I was now able to set the drive as a Pro Tools Audio/Video Read-Write-Transfer drive. Problem solved...for now at least.

The reason for this sudden problem? Not sure, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I inadvertently put my computer to sleep last night when I finished work, rather than shutting it down as I normally would...new buttons, new functions. More as it develops.

Of a somewhat related nature, since going to the new system I have "developed" a few (and perhaps growing number of) files that are grayed-out and unavailable to me in Pro Tools when I look at then in the file import browser. The files can all be opened normally from the desktop by double-clickng them, or by opening them from other applications....but they can't be imported into Pro Tools on my system. Something is wacked I guess. Everything looks normal and typical for the files when I Command-I them, but they are just out of reach to Pro Tools. I even tried trashing all Pro Tools preferences and the Digidesign Database folders of each drive...but no luck.

But I still am loving PTLE 7.4 running on a core 2 duo. Perhaps my apparent permissions problems have been solved in 7.4.2...who knows.
Pro Tools 9.0