Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2019, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Not hearing audio on a track AFTER a punch out

LSNY is exactly right. I use it the same way when I record myself, and sometimes when recording other musicians. The only reason I didn't notice the bug sooner is that I do mostly radio production these days, and when I do get a chance to make music, it's mostly MIDI.

This is truly a mindblowingly bad bug. It should be near top priority to fix it.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-27-2019, 09:42 AM

QuickPunch does indeed allow you to Trim out clips because, while separate clips are shown as you QuickPunch in and out, it's actually a full parent file in the background as you take the Transport in and out of Record. (See page 566 in the PTRM.)

I'm wondering if the issue may be that you are in QuickPunch, but using an Edit Selection. From the Manual:

"QuickPunch with an Edit Selection:
If you make an Edit selection and use QuickPunch, the following rules apply:
• If the Transport is not online, recording begins and stops whenever you click the Record button in the Transport—regardless of the selection’s start or end point.
• If the Transport is online, punch-in/out behavior is controlled by the Online Options setting on the Operation Preferences page.
• If you select Record Online at Insertion/Selection, QuickPunch punches in and out only within the selection (or in the case of an insertion point, only after the insertion point).
• If you select Record Online at Timecode Lock, QuickPunch disregards the selection and punches in and out whenever you want (after Pro Tools has locked to timecode)."

All I'm suggesting is that you try recording the other way, in Non-Destructive Record, not QuickPunch, using a highlighted section to see if Post Roll works in that scenario. If it works in one and not the other, then something is really wrong and you should start a support case with Avid.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-29-2019, 06:15 AM

Yes, that's exactly it. And it's less broken when Quickpunch is turned off, but it still doesn't come back in right at the punch out point (the end of the selection in this case) like it did for 25 years before that. The feature is broken.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 08-29-2019, 08:07 AM

Well, last suggestion. Use QuickPunch without a highlighted section, but with and without Pre/Post Roll. Just hit "3" on the Num Pad when you want to Punch In AND when you want to Punch Out. In the no Pre/Post Roll scenario, then hit Spacebar to stop Playback after the Transport has rolled down the Timeline a bit.

If you hear audio after the Punch Out, well it works in one out of three scenarios. If you don't, then you're three for three.

Either way, you've now got a lot of information and it's time to start a Support Case with Avid.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-29-2019, 10:41 AM

I've had this bug on and off for what seems like an eternity. Never bothered reporting it as it seems so intermittent.