Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2001, 12:54 AM

Default Unwanted takes

This is the scenario. The guitarist does a solo which takes 4 million takes to get right. I consolodate the the whole region/track which creates a new audio file. Then I delete the unused audio files to cut down of size of this session. Problem is when I open the session next day .... it asks me to locate all the old takes....which I deleted. I chose skip all and listen to the session. The solo plays back fine, no problems. So what am I doing wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-15-2001, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Unwanted takes

I think you have to delete takes from your session, not manually in your OS. Otherwise, your session still has files pointers that point to nothing, hence the question to locate the files.

Or you could just find another guitar player

------------------
David.

6am eternal

6am eternal
Old 05-15-2001, 02:07 AM

Cheers david but all takes on same track with punch ins etc. So by consolodating track I am 'melding' all takes into one.... or so I thought. I need to sort this out because with 24 tracks of audio with similar scenarios to the guitar player I'll have sessions that are 3 gbyts instead of 1.5 and spend all my time locating files instead of mixing.
J

Old 05-15-2001, 05:53 AM

All of the old region names remain in the regions list after you consolidate. You need to select all unused regions and delete them. Otherwise they will try to point to your missing audio files next time you open the session.
Old 05-15-2001, 07:17 AM

Thanks sortasonic. Could you remind me how to select unused regions?.I can't seem to find that command.
Cheers
J
Old 05-15-2001, 10:59 AM

Click at the menu bar at the top of the regions list on the right of your edit window. The pull down menu will lead you to the "Select unused files" command. Beware that this will select all files not in use, some of which you may not want to delete. I usually use this to identify unused regions only then I will manually deselect (shift + click) the other files which are not associated with the track you are working on. Be careful to watch the names of the files carefully as the computer prompts you for the Discard permanently command. It will be your last chance to save something you may have wanted to keep. I hope that makes sense because it reads a little convoluted.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:23 AM

You should Rename all tracks you want to keep--right from the very first recorded tracks. A little time spent doing this will save you Much time later.

Then when you select "delete unused" you can NOT delete the ones you have renamed.

Also, A Great trick (key Command)that is extremly helpful is "command"(apple key)-"."(period) while recording a take you know is No good.
Hit "Command"/"." to Cancel the take and No file is put on the HDrive. This cuts way down of superfulous Outtakes crowding your session.

You must hit this key command while recording
(when you know the take will Not be used because of a bad performance)...
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 05-15-2001, 02:28 PM

You can also use the "Destructive Recording" mode. That way, there is only one file for the track. You just keep writing over the same file until you get that "magic" take.

Of course, the limitation is that once you've recorded over a take, it's gone (just like old-fashioned tape). It can't even be "undone".

I use this mode occasionally when writing and don't want to clog up the HD with stuff I know is not worth keeping.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 05-16-2001, 12:41 AM

Thanks All. A great help.