Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2010, 08:36 AM

Default What Can You Get Out Of Learning Pro Tools?

When I finished school, the only area that interested me was audio and video. I immediately set aside some money and have been learning about Pro Tools for the last 4 years, completing the official courses, even the video game one. It kept my parents and peers off my back because they understood I was "doing something".

I love it, but to be honest, I need some advice.

As a mature adult, looking back, I think I built castles on sand. My head was in the clouds and now, in hindsight, I'm really thinking about my future and how to make a career for myself.

Now, obviously, I'm not a dreamer and I know I won't be some big shot record producer (not that that's where my heart lies) but I would be ecstatic to find a 9-5 job, with a healthy income in radio, television etc.

My question is, are these jobs available, how can I get into them and is it realistic? Can my certificates be beneficial in the professional world? I don't want to kiss someone's ass for 10 years before I can be someone's chair while they're recording Kanye West, all I want is to live an honest life in the industry I love.

I don't want to be a superstar, I don't want to make "beats" and I don't want people to wipe my ass. I'm quite happy editing commercials etc.

Is there anything out there for me? Honest answers please.

Very much appreciated.

Michael.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Default Re: What Can You Get Out Of Learning Pro Tools?

I would check with any local TV affiliates and radio stations and see if you could intern with one of them. Those jobs may not open up often, but if you have a foot in the door, and a little history(maybe you get to do some spot production when the main guy is sick) it would give you an advantage when a position DOES open up. Maybe you have a friend that is starting their own business and you could produce a radio spot for them(so you have some example of your work to show off). If TV is more your aim, then you might want to get a Mac and Final Cut and brush up on your video chops as well. Some community colleges may also have courses in video production. Hopefully, you live in a larger city where there are more chances for all this. Best of luck!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Fast View Post
When I finished school, the only area that interested me was audio and video. I immediately set aside some money and have been learning about Pro Tools for the last 4 years, completing the official courses, even the video game one. It kept my parents and peers off my back because they understood I was "doing something".

I love it, but to be honest, I need some advice.

As a mature adult, looking back, I think I built castles on sand. My head was in the clouds and now, in hindsight, I'm really thinking about my future and how to make a career for myself.

Now, obviously, I'm not a dreamer and I know I won't be some big shot record producer (not that that's where my heart lies) but I would be ecstatic to find a 9-5 job, with a healthy income in radio, television etc.

My question is, are these jobs available, how can I get into them and is it realistic? Can my certificates be beneficial in the professional world? I don't want to kiss someone's ass for 10 years before I can be someone's chair while they're recording Kanye West, all I want is to live an honest life in the industry I love.

I don't want to be a superstar, I don't want to make "beats" and I don't want people to wipe my ass. I'm quite happy editing commercials etc.

Is there anything out there for me? Honest answers please.

Very much appreciated.

Michael.
They exist. But it depends on where you are looking. In LA there is a lot of them. In Tyler, TX or Deerfield, MA there isn't so many.

One big choice you have to make is, are you willing to move in order to have a career. You can't expect the work to come to you, you have to go to it. Different cities have different specialties. Places like chicago and/or boston do a lot of TV commercials and industrial videos, but not much else. LA, obviously has a lot of film work... and so on and so forth.

I have a job exactly like you mention. I work for a company that makes music for TV/film. It's a 10am-7pm, 5 day a week, full benefits with paid vacation type job. And I get to sit in a world class studio and make music all day! It is really a dream. But, there is no way I would have gotten anything even remotely close to this if I had stayed where I grew up. I moved 2500 miles away from home to pursue my career goals and moved to a city where I knew absolutely nobody. My one friend that lived here got a job for a big record label and had to move to KC two months before I came out here. I was supposed to move in with him... but obviously couldn't... so I ended up taking his place in the apt he was living in... It took me a few months to find little odds and ends jobs, teaching kids and stuff like that. Then after 6 months I was blessed to find the company I work for now.

Most people it takes 6 months to 2 years to really start finding work in your desired career. But it will happen eventually. Just have to stick with it and NOT GIVE UP. So many people throw in the towel if things don't really take off for them after a year or two. I've been out here for 10 years now and my career FINALLY feels like it is starting to go somewhere! LOL

In the end though, remember that Protools is just that, a tool. the work you do with it is much more important than the fact you know how to use it. I know a lot of people that know how to use protools...that doesn't mean anything they do in protools sounds even remotely good!! HAHAHA

And one of my mentors, a really well-known supervising sound editor, says all the time she really doesn't know how to use protools that well! But every year a lot of the top grossing films she edited dialogue, ADR, etc... So there you have it. She makes a good point, she knows how to edit and make things sound good. Protools is irrelevent. Before protools, she was doing it on Moviolas. After protools, she'll still be doing it on whatever else comes out. THE EDITORS is what makes the sound great, not the software.

It's kind of expected you know how to use the tools of the trade inside and out. But what you do with them is what is most important. Sure you know how to cut/splice/paste/etc... but can you make good fill? Can you fix drum parts that are out of time? etc... Protools is the tool to use, but if you have a sucky sense of time, then even though you know how to use beat detective you still won't be able to edit the drums well since you can't hear the timing problems... know what I mean?

So I think the big question for you is..."Am I ready to move?" If not, start working towards that... if you are ready, then go for it!

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM

Derek knocks another 1 out the park!!!

U get the BIG SNACKS

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-10-2010, 11:00 AM

in my experience the 9-5 jobs are rare but the "work" is available. meaning you get what you can and work around the clock to get your chops and client lists. editor and engineer are careers and most of them have been crafting their work for a decade or more.

also, there are a lot of the jobs in the support industries like installations, repair, sales, blah, blah...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:05 PM

I've never expected a 9to5 learning ProTools. It's just a means to an end, so that I can produce my own musical visions. If I can end up helping others see their's with it, that's all good too!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorlando View Post
in my experience the 9-5 jobs are rare but the "work" is available. meaning you get what you can and work around the clock to get your chops and client lists. editor and engineer are careers and most of them have been crafting their work for a decade or more.

also, there are a lot of the jobs in the support industries like installations, repair, sales, blah, blah...

this reminds me of another good point as well...

You can never make a lot of money working for someone else. Everyone who is very successful eventually starts their own company. The only way to really make a very successful career is to do it on your own. There is a trade off for working the 9-5. For the stability you lose recognition and ultimately the large payoffs. But that is a trade off some people are willing to take in exchange for steady work and steady pay.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
They exist. But it depends on where you are looking. In LA there is a lot of them. In Tyler, TX or Deerfield, MA there isn't so many.
Killa, great information here. Thanks for your input.

And, I totally agree with you. I am from a small city but have traveled around the world (never to the States), however, I certainly don't see my future in my hometown, mainly because there is no industry here whatsoever.

London is my nearest "Center" and if I am to move, which I will, I see myself heading there.

Thanks everyone for the info, much appreciated. :)
Old 05-11-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
this reminds me of another good point as well...

You can never make a lot of money working for someone else. Everyone who is very successful eventually starts their own company. The only way to really make a very successful career is to do it on your own. There is a trade off for working the 9-5. For the stability you lose recognition and ultimately the large payoffs. But that is a trade off some people are willing to take in exchange for steady work and steady pay.
I assume you mean this in the context of the recording industry.

Outside of the industry, I think it depends on your definition of success. In some cases, that success is achieved not by "either-or" but by leveraging a traditional career to fund the alternate goal of recording/creating while supporting your life and family. Perhaps with the ultimate goal of migrating from one to the other.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netnoggin View Post
I assume you mean this in the context of the recording industry.

Outside of the industry, I think it depends on your definition of success. In some cases, that success is achieved not by "either-or" but by leveraging a traditional career to fund the alternate goal of recording/creating while supporting your life and family. Perhaps with the ultimate goal of migrating from one to the other.
Indeed.

I managed to find a 9-5 where I get to use Pro Tools all day in a fairly corporate setting, so to fund my gear addiction and studio afterwords! Best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515