Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Waiting for video engine to launch. stuck progress bar

Thanks Eric.
I am a little suspect of the Blackmagic, as I didn't seem to see the problem when it was disconnected. However, that may be misleading as the problem sometimes takes a day to appear.
I'll keep working on it.

Cheers
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Blackmagic mini monitor was creating trouble with an ad composer (we traced it to being the source of problems.) No matter where it was put in various Thunderbolt ports, always put some kind of playback lag and video engine issues. Sessions would just shutdown Pro Tools when you'd try to play them with the video engine crashing.

Removed the mini monitor. No more problems. It hasn't been put back. We wasted enough time finding the issue that everyone was cranky with it.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 PM

Mmmm, that is interesting. I'll do a little more testing without the BM connected.

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennym View Post
This issue...always this sodding issue..

Now on a 2018 MacMini running 10.14.5, has been fine for a couple of months in regards to this and..today I can't get rid of it..

One thing AVID mentioned was this:
- Delete the "AvidVideoEngine" in "Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/"
..which works 75% of the time.

I just started getting this issue the first time I opened an older session that had video after upgrading to Mojave and PT 2019.5.

The trashing of the above folder, followed immediately by a restart worked, only for the issue to return the next day.

I trashed the folder again, restarted and it's been fine for a week now.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 PM

The above method just worked for me too!!
Let's see how long it lasts today though.

[edit] Didn't last long.. Had to do a restart after a couple of sessions being opened. Now I also get the unable to stop message and video playback is all laggy and messed up.

Last edited by mattrixx; 06-05-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:41 AM

Having the same problems on the same specs as mentioned above (without a video external playback device). AVID- have you looked into this for an immediate solution? Please let us know. Thanks.
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 10-21-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_nyc View Post
Having the same problems on the same specs as mentioned above (without a video external playback device). AVID- have you looked into this for an immediate solution? Please let us know. Thanks.
Trashing the folder I mentioned above and restarting will fix the issue for the current start up. The issue WILL re-appear again randomly and you have to go through the trash/restart to get it working again.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
Trashing the folder I mentioned above and restarting will fix the issue for the current start up. The issue WILL re-appear again randomly and you have to go through the trash/restart to get it working again.
Thanks for the reply. I am troubleshooting two University computers: Mac OS 10.14x (Mojave) PT 2019.6 Ultimate. I followed your workaround suggestion, but I cannot even enable the Video Engine after launching Pro Tools with no session launched. Just trying to enable the Video Engine in the Playback Engine window starts the progress bar that then freezes. Launching a session with video in it brings up the Video Engine error message. Trying to import video in a blank session prompts to enable the Video Engine and this process starts all over again. I cannot revert to an earlier version without a week's notice on an IT ticket. Plus, the studios are running Logic Pro and have no issues. Please let me know if you think of anything else... Thanks.
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com
Old 10-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_nyc View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am troubleshooting two University computers: Mac OS 10.14x (Mojave) PT 2019.6 Ultimate. I followed your workaround suggestion, but I cannot even enable the Video Engine after launching Pro Tools with no session launched. Just trying to enable the Video Engine in the Playback Engine window starts the progress bar that then freezes. Launching a session with video in it brings up the Video Engine error message. Trying to import video in a blank session prompts to enable the Video Engine and this process starts all over again. I cannot revert to an earlier version without a week's notice on an IT ticket. Plus, the studios are running Logic Pro and have no issues. Please let me know if you think of anything else... Thanks.
With PT quit. Delete the Users/Shared/AvidVideoEngine folder. Immediately restart.

This has always allowed me to start the video engine at least the first time.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
With PT quit. Delete the Users/Shared/AvidVideoEngine folder. Immediately restart.

This has always allowed me to start the video engine at least the first time.
So sorry, but I did that...
PT 10.3.11/ 12.5.2
003 Rack
OSX 10.8.5
ProToolsConsultant.com