Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 AM

Default Writing Plug-Ins to audio?

Quick speed question here. I have a PT10 session file that somebody on the other side of the country wants to mix in Studio One. What's the quickest way to write all my plug-ins to the audio so I can just send him .wav's.

Of course I could just output each track to a new audio track, but that won't include the reverb aux that I am sending a lot of things too (mostly drums and guitars). Is there any faster/better way to do this in PT10? I'm assuming they have no Avid supported compatibility Studio One.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Writing Plug-Ins to audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedavis View Post
Quick speed question here. I have a PT10 session file that somebody on the other side of the country wants to mix in Studio One. What's the quickest way to write all my plug-ins to the audio so I can just send him .wav's.

Of course I could just output each track to a new audio track, but that won't include the reverb aux that I am sending a lot of things too (mostly drums and guitars). Is there any faster/better way to do this in PT10? I'm assuming they have no Avid supported compatibility Studio One.

Thanks!
Hi,

If all the parts need to have the processing and effects then individual bounce is the easiest way.

You could setup tracks to record onto, but routing the effects returns to multiple record tracks will be a hurdle to cross if they are shared with different parts, in which case individual bounce is back as the favourite option.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
This is a perfect situation where offline bounce would of come in handy. Too bad we have to wait for 11 to be released.

Tracking to new audio tracks is probably the only best option. Maybe route any verbs and its source to an audio track, once you bounced everything right click the new files in the clips region and choose export
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 AM

Ya, unfortunately Pro Tools 11 is going to bone me plug-ins wise. I really don't like the way avid's marketing tastes on it. They're acting like offline bounce is some new technology that every other DAW hasn't had for the last 5 years.

In any case, it looks like I'm pretty much boned in either case in this situation. I'll just individually bounce each of em. 5 minute song, 19 stems, 95 minutes of waiting
Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Ya, unfortunately Pro Tools 11 is going to bone me plug-ins wise. I really don't like the way avid's marketing tastes on it. They're acting like offline bounce is some new technology that every other DAW hasn't had for the last 5 years.

In any case, it looks like I'm pretty much boned in either case in this situation. I'll just individually bounce each of em. 5 minute song, 19 stems, 95 minutes of waiting
I might be missing the big piture here (lack of sleep) but is there a reason why you will be bouncing all tracks individually instead of all at one time.
Create all the new tracks, route and track it all. Right? Once its all done right-click the new files in the clips region and choose the export(..along those lines) it will save it to your HD and it works like offline bounce(sort of)

This is what I mean :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9wFA...e_gdata_player
Skip to 1:30
Old 05-16-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatamas View Post
I might be missing the big piture here (lack of sleep) but is there a reason why you will be bouncing all tracks individually instead of all at one time.
Create all the new tracks, route and track it all. Right? Once its all done right-click yhe new files in the clips region and choose the export(..along those lines) it will save it to your HD and it works like offline bounce(sort of)
Reverb aux complicates that approach a little bit. But the main reason is that I have a couple things on my master fader I'd like to keep on everything (not mastering plug-ins).
Old 05-16-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Reverb aux complicates that approach a little bit. But the main reason is that I have a couple things on my master fader I'd like to keep on everything (not mastering plug-ins).
If they're mixing in another platform then what you have on the master fader won't mean anything to them. They'll want the individual tracks as they are. I'd do the record each individual track to new audio tracks along with the reverb aux return to an audio track and send them that.

Or if you really need for some odd reason to send them the output of the master fader which would have your mix on it then create sends from each track to individual audio tracks along with a send from the reverb aux return track to an audio track along with routing the output of the master fader track to an audio track and hit record. That way they'd have the individual tracks for mixing and they'd also have what's coming out your master fader.

QAPLA!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:37 PM

Couple o' ways...

1. Save the plugin settings as presets and then just process the actual track with the plug-in (meaning not used as an insert) one at a time in order they are in the chain. Then export the processed clips as files.

2. Print each file to a new track. Select the clip you just recorded and choose export as files.

3. Bounce each track to disk by soloing the track you want bounced (if you want it bounced with verb then solo the verb track as well.)

As far as the verb I feel that whomever is going to be mixing it will use his own and probably adjust the send levels and which instruments are sending to it, so I dont see that being needed, but you can simply route the verb to a new audio track and print the verb... then export as files.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 PM

2 other ideas, most(many) plugins are also available in AudioSuite format, so you can call up the AS version of most and process in place(rendering processed audio for export). #2, if someone else is going to MIX it, why not send them all the raw tracks and let them earn their money?

Bounce to disk doesn't(yet) allow for bouncing several different things in one pass, but you COULD take each track that is treated with plugins, set its output to an open bus(mono or stereo), create a new audio track with that bus as the input, and record the processed audio(with or without automation). That can be done for a bunch of tracks in a single pass(takes a while to set it up) and then you simply export the new audio tracks.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
2 other ideas, most(many) plugins are also available in AudioSuite format, so you can call up the AS version of most and process in place(rendering processed audio for export). #2, if someone else is going to MIX it, why not send them all the raw tracks and let them earn their money?

Bounce to disk doesn't(yet) allow for bouncing several different things in one pass, but you COULD take each track that is treated with plugins, set its output to an open bus(mono or stereo), create a new audio track with that bus as the input, and record the processed audio(with or without automation). That can be done for a bunch of tracks in a single pass(takes a while to set it up) and then you simply export the new audio tracks.
lol.. isnt that what I said?