How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2015, 03:15 AM

Default Headphone Monitorig with C24

Hey Guys
Just bought a C24 after my Control24 died.
My Avid guy brought me AES/EBU cables to use for the Cue Outputs.
The circumference of the Female and Male plugs are actually larger than my wall connections and my gear?!?!?
So we took the sleeve off, but they don't seem to work, starting to think they are wired differently especially on the DB25 side. since each cable actually supports 2 channels.
In any case I can't get any signal out.
I read the correct send/output in Pro Tools is 7/8 for Cue 1/2.
Any help would be appreciate, for now I'm running a TRS from my headphone output which is ridiculous.
The Control24 was a lot easier to work on...

Best
Mitch
Old 05-04-2015, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Headphone Monitorig with C24

Surprised your Avid guy did that, C24 is all analog(ue). There's no AES in or out of it. Each individual cable is only twin channel when passing an AES digital signal not analogue. C24 is just as easy/difficult as a Control 24. You can use an AES snake but you'll need to to use gender swap XLR adapters on 4 of the cables.

Pete
Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 PM

Peter is right. Also your Avid guy is a dumb ass. NO Digital I/O at all on the C/24. I am guessing you have an audio interface? Select a pair of outputs, any analog pair, and hook those up to the db25 cue in. Your 'cue out' from the C/24s db25s out goes into your headphone amp.

Now days I use the behringer personal mixer solution and I must say its pretty snazzy and sounds pretty damn good for berry gear. I compared the berrys headphone out to my Dangerous Music ST headphone outs and it holds up.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 05-05-2015, 12:51 AM

Hey SD thanks, that sounds easy, now I have a bigger problem, Fader 24 doesn't work. In all the Utility tests it doesn't freaking move, plus relays no automation to PT, I've had the damn thing a day.
The only question is what do you do if your I/O only has DB25 pin connections,I'm. monitoring in 5.1 so I'm assuming your talking about outputs 7/8?

Best
Mitch

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 AM

BTW no comment on my Avid guy until I see how he deals with the fader issue...I don't want a repair a after one day...I want a new board!

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 05-05-2015, 08:46 AM

Hope your guy does right on the C24! Meanwhile, what exactly are your needs for headphone feeds? In truth, the C24 doesn't even need to be part of the chain, other than using sends(controlled on the C24) to feed outputs. If you only have 8 analog outputs(you never mentioned what interface you have), then just feed outputs 7&8 to any of a dozen decent headphone amps on the market. Personally, I am quite happy with my Alesis Multimix 6 cue($149). If a single headphone feed is all you need, then you're all set. For more, I suggest adding(assuming HD, HDN, HDX here) a second hand 192(standard 8x8x8 version) so you can get 8 more outputs to allow for more mixes. The only warning there is this; 192 and HD IO boxes have balanced outputs, and if you are going to feed UNbalanced inputs(like many headphone amps have) you must NOT connect the cold side of the balanced lines to ground. That would mean you would need to buy/build some special cables(but its not a big deal for anyone that can do basic soldering and repair of mic cables).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusoPro View Post
Hey SD thanks, that sounds easy, now I have a bigger problem, Fader 24 doesn't work. In all the Utility tests it doesn't freaking move, plus relays no automation to PT, I've had the damn thing a day.
The only question is what do you do if your I/O only has DB25 pin connections,I'm. monitoring in 5.1 so I'm assuming your talking about outputs 7/8?

Best
Mitch
No problem!! That is odd with the fader. Sometimes this happens to my C/24 and going into utilities-fader-recalibration normally brings it back to life. If this doesn't work then your dealer needs to provide you with a NEW C/24.

Cuemix, I have 2 Lynx Aurora 16s so I use 'B 7-8' for my cue mix out puts from PT. You can use which ever analog outs you want. I label them in the i/o menu as 'cuemix' for easy location. I also do not use the C/24 for monitoring or cuemixes. I use a Dangerous Music ST. There are db25 to db25 cables that would be simple or roll your own cable for just the cuemix which is what I did when I was using the C/24 for cuemixes.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:28 AM

Cool, thanks for all your help. Another problem I need to deal with is sending a slate track to my session using my talkback mic.
The old C24 actually had a slate out balanced which I would then running back to a track/input as a line in.
BTW they are sending me a new C24!! The Fader is completely dead and doesn't write automation to PT.

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup
Old 05-10-2015, 03:49 AM

On the new C/24 there is a slate/talkback output from a db25 connector. I would get a patchbay and normal the slate out to one of your interfaces inputs and you can send that to any pair of outputs for additional headphone cues. Just make sure the output of your slate input isn't being sent to your main outputs (monitors) otherwise its feedback city