Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-20-2019, 03:58 PM

Default Control surfaces randomly stop sending information to Pro Tools

I'm using a Behringer X-Touch now but I had this same problem with my Presonus Faderport.

Completely randomly, the X-Touch will stop sending any information to Pro Tools. The X-Touch receives information just fine, as the faders follow along with all previous automation.

But, all of a sudden, sometimes in the middle of performing an automation move, the X-Touch will just stop sending information.

I have updated the firmware, tried multiple USB cables, and multiple USB ports in Windows 10.

Power cycling the X-Touch, restarting Pro Tools, sometimes even restarting the computer doesn't help. When I power cycle the X-Touch with Pro Tools running, everything within Pro Tools becomes very sluggish and unresponsive.

What's the most likely culprit here? I'm mixing a documentary feature right now and I'm crippled.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Control surfaces randomly stop sending information to Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyrelight View Post
I'm using a Behringer X-Touch now but I had this same problem with my Presonus Faderport.

Completely randomly, the X-Touch will stop sending any information to Pro Tools. The X-Touch receives information just fine, as the faders follow along with all previous automation.

But, all of a sudden, sometimes in the middle of performing an automation move, the X-Touch will just stop sending information.

I have updated the firmware, tried multiple USB cables, and multiple USB ports in Windows 10.

Power cycling the X-Touch, restarting Pro Tools, sometimes even restarting the computer doesn't help. When I power cycle the X-Touch with Pro Tools running, everything within Pro Tools becomes very sluggish and unresponsive.

What's the most likely culprit here? I'm mixing a documentary feature right now and I'm crippled.
Things to check:
1-Is the Power Management feature disabled on all USB ports(double-check anyway as several recent Windows updates have reset those).
2-try another USB cable
3-try another USB port on the PC

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-30-2021, 11:26 AM

Hi,

Trying to revive this post, as I am experiencing similar issues.

I have tried the advice below, with disabling the power option for USB and for changing the cable, but the issue is still there.

As for the USB port, I have tried this on 2 different PC's with ProTools and it has the same effect.

The symptoms are mostly the same. It will work, but after using a while it just stops sending the information. It will still read the automation and the faders will move, but as soon as I try to change them, they reset back to the default position. It is also not possible to cycle through fader banks or use anything else for that matter. However, it does get fixed with restarting the ProTools, but it will certainly lose connection after it is being used

I think it is worth mentioning that the controller works without issue on Ableton and FL studio.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:02 PM

In my limited experience, most of these controllers don’t seem to play well with USB 3. And another vote for trying a different (usb 2) port.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
In my limited experience, most of these controllers don’t seem to play well with USB 3. And another vote for trying a different (usb 2) port.
It only works on the 2.0 Port, so that is where it is plugged in. have 2 of them, and it is the same issue, both on the old PC and the new one.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:43 AM

2024-March: Same here. Working for a week with the X-Touch and PT, newest version and find out that sometimes the connection is lost.