How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 AM

Default Separate link timeline and edit selections

Hi all,

I'm on a mission to improve my Protools MIDI chops (ex Logic user).
I've been using protools for a while but have never been as smooth in the MIDI editing as I was with Logic.

One thing I've found that would certainly help the work flow, is if we could have a different 'link timeline and edit selection' status for each editor window.

I'll try to explain.
I've got dynamic transport on and LTL & ES is on. If I click on any midi region (block) the timeline updates, cool. If I double click on the region to open the midi editor, each note I select for editing is now updating the timeline which means I loose the loop selection.

I'm just thinking that if we had the ability to have it on in the edit window, it would be fast to navigate to the region you want to edit, double click to open the midi editor, edit some notes without losing the loop selection, close the window and I'm back to the main edit window.

I know there are shortcuts (shift /) but as soon as you turn it off, click on any note and turn it back on again, it will lose it's original location.

Just a thought for improving MIDI workflow .

Cheers
Kim
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Separate link timeline and edit selections

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimSira View Post
Hi all,

I'm on a mission to improve my Protools MIDI chops (ex Logic user).
I've been using protools for a while but have never been as smooth in the MIDI editing as I was with Logic.

One thing I've found that would certainly help the work flow, is if we could have a different 'link timeline and edit selection' status for each editor window.

I'll try to explain.
I've got dynamic transport on and LTL & ES is on. If I click on any midi region (block) the timeline updates, cool. If I double click on the region to open the midi editor, each note I select for editing is now updating the timeline which means I loose the loop selection.

I'm just thinking that if we had the ability to have it on in the edit window, it would be fast to navigate to the region you want to edit, double click to open the midi editor, edit some notes without losing the loop selection, close the window and I'm back to the main edit window.

I know there are shortcuts (shift /) but as soon as you turn it off, click on any note and turn it back on again, it will lose it's original location.

Just a thought for improving MIDI workflow .

Cheers
Kim
Doesn't Pro Tools automatically switch off LTL & ES when you go into dynamic transport mode? Keep it like that, and when ever you want to play your new selection press SHIFT+OPTION+5 (this updates the timeline)

Hope this helps,
Timothy