Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-1999, 11:47 AM

Default PT24 on NT

I am about to buy PT24 for NT. I have been a S8PC user for years and its time to update.
There have been problems with PT support for PC based systems. Is this true for PT24 on NT?

PLEASE ANY ADVICE REGARDING HOW WELL PT24 RUNS ON NT!!!

IS MAC PLATFORM BETTER??

HOW SEAMLESS???? (Years back, my S8/SMPTE'd to MIDI IO card took months to get properly running.

ETC........

THANK YOU VERY MUCH - NEED INFO ASAP!!!

Felix Misch
Old 12-22-1999, 01:36 AM

Default Re: PT24 on NT

Felix,
come join the PTNT family! I was a very pleased S8 user for years but decided to upgrade. I built a PC using components meeting the Digi requirements and installed the PT cards and software successfully the first time. Now, there's no turning back.
I managed to start my S8 software a few days ago, and I wonder how i got by with 8 trx, 6 eq's (?) and no plug-ins...

Forgive me if this sounds too religious... but HAVE FAITH, AND TAKE THE LEAP!

Good luck!! (meet the specs, and you won't need it)

Justin

------------------
Old 12-22-1999, 07:13 AM

I was using Spectral STXP before deciding to purchase PTNT. It seemed to be a logical choice because of the plug-ins, wide acceptance and usage of PT's in professional settings and mfg support. I understand from PTmac users/friends that operation is pretty seamless. So far I've had very few problems with my NT system and those were mostly pilot error. (Switching systems is always a hassle.) Like Justin said, meet the specs and you'll be fine.
Old 12-23-1999, 12:57 AM

I have to agree with the other two replies. When you get 5.0 there is almost no difference between the Mac and NT. Just make sure you meet the specs and look at this user confrence a lot. It is extremly useful.
Old 12-23-1999, 05:39 AM

David do you have PTNT 5 already?????
Old 12-23-1999, 01:08 PM

Thank-you all. The info and POSITIVE responses are very exciting.

Admission: I havn't looked through the digi site for computer hardware specs for PTNT: ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks again, Felix
Old 12-23-1999, 01:44 PM

I've got 4.3.1 on NT (up for about 3 weeks now), and 5.0 on Mac. Except for the differences in keyboard commands (which NT5.0 should help), the two systems perform very much on a par. I was surprised how easy it was to sit down at the windows machine for the first time and go to work. Nice. Watch out for the lack of plug-ins, though. And if you are doing video work, consider that you MUST have a Mac in order to convert .omf files into Pro Tools sessions.

If I had to choose, and price was not an issue, I would go with the Mac. I used to be a windows-head, but now I appreciate the ease of maintaining a Mac OS. It is much easier to find conflicts and fiddle with Mac extensions than NT .dll files. I think both platforms are stable. Having said that, NT's multi-tasking is absolutely wonderful compared to Mac.