Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-28-2019, 07:42 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
Not me.
Same here
Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Well Nish,
You seem more interested in stocks and the corporation than
A daw, you know stuff like what does it cost, and is it stable and not
Crashing. What was the last update like?
Have fun.
I am out.
No I don't care about stocks, but for the perpetual owners buying some support before the price increase is an unexpected expense at Avid's profit... no?

I just bought a couple years of support myself... but there's no way Avid can convince me to either surrender my perpetual licenses that Ive been using for 20 years already or ever go on subscription! I'm not sure who would do that anyway!
Old 06-29-2019, 09:03 AM

How is this any different from when PT 12.? came out including the very same prices? I remember all of the same posturing and complaints. Later, they separated vanilla updates and support allowing updates only for $99.

My own approach would be to keep my ultimate perpetual and start renting the current vanilla only when I needed it. HEAT support makes that practical for the first time.

I also use Samplitude and have been spending an average of $150 a year on updates for over a decade. When the PT12.? pricing tantrums erupted, I remember finding Nuendo updates were the same price as Pro Tools. Logic no longer offers version upgrades so you have to buy it all over again whenever a new version comes out. My point is that it's silly to expect Pro Tools to cost less than its competition. Also, remember that Avid will never undercut their dealers so shopping around can be very beneficial financially.

So here I am again sounding like an Avid fanboy after having been one of Digidesign's harshest critics back in the '90s. Life is amazing!
Old 06-29-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
How is this any different from when PT 12.? came out including the very same prices? I remember all of the same posturing and complaints. Later, they separated vanilla updates and support allowing updates only for $99.

My own approach would be to keep my ultimate perpetual and start renting the current vanilla only when I needed it. HEAT support makes that practical for the first time.

I also use Samplitude and have been spending an average of $150 a year on updates for over a decade. When the PT12.? pricing tantrums erupted, I remember finding Nuendo updates were the same price as Pro Tools. Logic no longer offers version upgrades so you have to buy it all over again whenever a new version comes out. My point is that it's silly to expect Pro Tools to cost less than its competition. Also, remember that Avid will never undercut their dealers so shopping around can be very beneficial financially.

So here I am again sounding like an Avid fanboy after having been one of Digidesign's harshest critics back in the '90s. Life is amazing!
Do you get severely punished if you skip an update with Samplitude? Is Samplitude the equivalent of regular PT, or PT Ultimate? $150 a year for PT Ultimate updates would make people pretty happy right now.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:45 AM

Well I had some money rotting in a paypal account, so I donated 99.00 to the 'avid is broke, so give us money' fund before the July 1rst deadline. At least I don't have to worry for almost two years now.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:13 PM

Hahaha..... that’s just toooooo funny!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hello jpsexton and seebee62,

Perhaps you missed the next QA pair under that? #5 says Reinstatement for Pro Tools and Pro Tools Ultimate is unchanged.

Best regards,
JC
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Well I had some money rotting in a paypal account, so I donated 99.00 to the 'avid is broke, so give us money' fund before the July 1rst deadline. At least I don't have to worry for almost two years now.
But in the end you’d rather use PT right? Now you can sit back and do what you love to do..... design sound, create great music with a quality tool.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-29-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Do you get severely punished if you skip an update with Samplitude? Is Samplitude the equivalent of regular PT, or PT Ultimate? $150 a year for PT Ultimate updates would make people pretty happy right now.
No but Samplitude is the equivalent of Vanilla. Sequoia, the equivalent of Ultimate is even more expensive than Ultimate.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
But in the end you’d rather use PT right? Now you can sit back and do what you love to do..... design sound, create great music with a quality tool.
My preference is PT for sure.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:29 AM

REMINDER...TODAY IS THE LAST DAY! I just bought 4 years of renewal for perpetual Pro Tools vanilla. FYI, Alto Music in Middletown, NY is open today 'till maybe 5pm est. Anthony Thompson handles PT there today. That's where I bought mine.

Last edited by relaxo; 06-30-2019 at 10:27 AM.