Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-16-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Anyone use DFH Superior out there?

Hey G,

That link says 299 not the 199 you entered.
Also can you go over the usage a little more in detail for us newbies. Mainly explain how to use it in a LE system, as it is not a RTAS plugin. Does the DFHS interface come up plugins inserts? How does it function with rewire? What about the Fxpansion VST-RTAS wrapper would this work better?

Just a little help before I lay down my money would be great.

-Chuck
Old 04-16-2004, 12:28 PM

Here it is at AudioMidi.com for $239.00

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/...t.cfm?pid=4824

-Chuck

Old 04-16-2004, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Hey G,

That link says 299 not the 199 you entered.
Also can you go over the usage a little more in detail for us newbies. Mainly explain how to use it in a LE system, as it is not a RTAS plugin. Does the DFHS interface come up plugins inserts? How does it function with rewire? What about the Fxpansion VST-RTAS wrapper would this work better?

Just a little help before I lay down my money would be great.

-Chuck
O.K. guys.....I said in my earlier post-"I pre-ordered". I bought it in January at $199.00 + $9.75 for shipping.
Then I said- it's still cheaper than BFD NOW.
Once you register DFHS at their site you can download the ReWire for it.
I make like 9 or 10 mono Auxes and two stereo auxes and one midi track. Then insert the drummer (((plug-in))) on all the auxes and send the midi to the drummer. Then launch DFHS' ////drummer rewire launcher//// sampler (It's not in Pro Tools) I have an alias of it on my dock.
From there you just follow the windows and build your kit, then go back to Pro Tools hit record on the midi track and bang away!
No need for the FXpansion adapter...that's just more $$$ spent.
The DFHS manual will show you how to set it up with or without bleeding.
Kits can get big...HUGE with bleeding on, just turn it off when programming and when you bounce the DFHS audio in the DFHS bounce window, bleeding automatically mixes in.
This thang is or should I say will be THEE drum sampler for a loooong time coming.
Gotta run...Ya'll can catch me here if ya' want
Old 04-16-2004, 06:09 PM

one thing I'd like to add just in case people aren't aware...and this one of the reason's it's really cool...

After you get your midi track the way you want...you ahve the DFHS plugin capture the midi track from beginning to end. Then when you bounce the captured performance, DFHS makes INDIVIDUAL audio files of each mic on the drumset. And each track has bleed from the other tracks just as it would in a real recording.

After you bounce this...you "Import Audio To Track" in protools and TADA! You have drums in your session exactly as if you had recorded them in a studio...and they sync perfectly to your session since the performace of the audio files is exactly the same as the midi DFHS captured.

From there you can EQ, Add reverb and other effects to the drum tracks as you normally would real drums that you recorded in a studio. It's a very brilliant idea. I'm installing it right now as we speak...from looking at the manual it seems to be pretty well put together. We'll see how it works in real life but I'm pretty excited about it.

I have a friend with a DDrum&Drumkat setup and it will be much cheaper to track drums for production demos on his setup in his living room than in a real studio.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-16-2004, 09:13 PM

O.G. Would you give us your impressions too. I am still leaning towards BFD because of its RTAS compatibility, the included MIDI library and the fact that it can also do rewire if needed. But in the end it all boils down to how they sound. Decisions, decisions...
Old 04-18-2004, 12:27 AM

I've used DFH since it was released a couple of years ago, and I've recently switched to DFH Superior, and I can only add to what Gorilla said in his post.

DFH Superior is by far the best drum sampler out there. Forget BFD, nothing matches Superior. The sounds themselves are fantastic, and the whole leakage/direct matrix is a touch of genius. It actually feels like you're tweaking a real drum kit, the way all the drums bleed into all the other mics.

IMO there is no contest. The interface is a tad buggy at present (it was only released a couple of weeks ago) but you can work around it and I'm sure it will be smoothed out shortly.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:27 AM

Thanks, Gorilla, and all the rest of you that have posted!

Sounds like it's the solution for my needs.... One more q, can you only order it thru EastWest (soundsonline.com) or are there other distributors? Looks like you got quite a deal, Gorilla, it's up to ~$300 on EastWest! Still, if thats the only choice, I'm sure it'll be worth it!

Will
Old 04-18-2004, 10:38 AM

D'oh! Didn't see there was a page 2 on this thread! Looks like AudioMIDI.com has a better price. Keep the tips comin', once I get a hold of this pup, I'll be needing them! (Babe in the woods with all this stuff, but lovin' it!!)

Will
Old 04-23-2004, 06:48 PM

What about CPU Hog? Which one is more taxing on your CPU? Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I make like 9 or 10 mono Auxes and two stereo auxes and one midi track. Then insert the drummer (((plug-in))) on all the auxes and send the midi to the drummer.
Hey Gorilla,

Sounds interesting. What computer are you using that you are able to have all of that streaming in? Also, is it streaming it from the HD? If you can tear yourself away from your new toy - let us know. : )

- proxy